Recap / The Simpsons S 24 E 21 The Saga Of Carl
Homer, Moe, Lenny, and Carl share a winning lottery ticket, but when Carl makes off with the winnings, the others follow him to his country of origin, Iceland, where they learn why Carl would abscond with their lottery winnings.
- Anime Land: Bart and Lisa watch a show, "Ki-Ya Karate Monsters", that is clearly intended as a parody of the genre.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Lenny takes Carl's betrayal very hard and attacks him. Immediately Lampshaded by Moe.
Moe: When the nice ones snap, it's always a good show.
- Call Back: Carl has metion being from Iceland in the the episode "'Scuse Me While I Miss the Sky"
- Clear Their Name: Carl uses the money to clear the dishonour of his family name by buying the missing page of the saga that depicts them as cowards who abandoned their post only to find that his ancestors were actually worse than what the saga depicts; they were cowards who worked ''with'' the Vikings who pillaged Iceland.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Homer watches female tennis and describes it as "soft-core tennis".
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Homer doesn't know why people laugh upon the mention of the number 69 (and for those who don't get it at home, "69" is a sex position where both partners give each other oral sex).
- Implausible Deniability: Homer and Lenny deny Carl's betrayal for a very long time, despite all signs to the contrary.
- In the Blood: Betraying friends is in Carl's adopted blood.
- Real Men Hate Affection: Discussed, the gang doesn't know much about themselves since as guys they don't talk about their problem or stories, which is why Carl betrayed them: he never considered them friends but just people he has barside conversations with. This hurts Lenny deeply to the point he tries killing Carl.
- National Stereotypes:
- Truth in Television Iceland is portrayed as a country with a small population, though caricatured here to the point that all inhabitants can apparently crowd together in one spot instantly without anyone missing.
- References are made to geysers, Icelandic sagas, BjŲrk, Viking invasions, the Allied Forces occupation during World War II for strategic reasons, the Northern Lights, fairies, elves, trolls, Sigur Růs, the 2008-2011 economical collapse and their former lesbian Prime Minister Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir (who was, in fact, the very first openly lesbian head of government in the world).
- Negative Continuity: The Icelanders seem to have forgotten that it was Homer who caused their country to go bankrupt in the Season 21 episode "The Bob Next Door".
- Special Guest: Sigur Růs plays the closing theme.
- Suspect Is Hatless: When the guys ask around for Carl in Iceland.
Moe: Say, have you seen our friend? He's about this tall, wears a jacket, has no visible tattoos...
Homer: Just say he's black.
Moe: You say he's black!
- Vacation Episode: The Simpsons travel to Iceland.