In this, the 500th episode, the town of Springfield has had enough of The Simpsons and banish them to live off the grid.
Tropes (YMMV tropes can be found here):
[a picture of Homer rioting, standing on Abraham Simpson is shown]
Homer: Heheh. Sorry dad. I was afraid the dragon wouldn't cough the moon back up.
Grampa: You idgit! The dragon always coughs the moon back up.
Lisa: I know it's futile but I must again point out, there is no dragon.
Homer: Then why am I paying $800 a year in dragon insurance?
Lisa: Again, I maintain that money would be better spent on car insurance.
Homer: Lisa, everyone knows that dragons do not attack cars. Geez, pick up a book.
Lisa: [annoyed] I pick up books like you pick up beers!
Homer: Then you have a serious reading problem.
- Continuity Nod: Bart's prank, Homer's drunken rampage, and Lisa's activism
- Couch Gag: A collection of the couch gags from the previous episodes, culminating into a mosaic reading "500," which falls apart, revealing Homer and Bart strangling each other in tuxedos.
- Enfant Terrible: The people of Springfield accuse Maggie of being this.
- Retroactive Wish: When the Simpsons were banished from Springfield, Homer announced he'd curse the town into a hundred-year drought and it started raining soon after. Homer then tried to change it to a hundred-year rain and then the rain stopped and a rainbow showed up. Homer weakly tried a "good weather" curse.
- With Friends Like These...: The Simpson family are spared by no one. This includes their so-called close friends, even other family members. Only Flanders tries to talk in their favor, and is silenced with a battering ram.
- Disproportionate Retribution: One of the reasons that the Simpsons are hated is because Maggie (a baby) doesn't talk.
- Karma Houdini: The entire town doesn't even apologize for banishing the Simpson family, even after moving to the outlands with them.