Recap: The Simpsons S 16 E 6 Midnight Rx
Homer and Grampa smuggle prescription drugs in from Canada after Mr. Burns announces that the town's new healthcare plan is cutting prescription medications.
This episode contains examples of:
- Call Back: This episode mentions Homer's stint as an astronaut.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Burns might have selfishly cancelled his employees' health care but he still felt the need to warn a female coworker that her new boyfriend is a married man.
- Evil Counterpart: What Ned deems his Canadian counterpart to be after the latter offers him a joint (even though, in Real Life, having non-medicinal marijuana is illegal in Canada. However, unlike most U.S. states and a majority of places overseas, if you get busted on possession of marijuana charges in Canada, you don't get jailtime for it).Ned: They warned me Satan would be attractive.
- Exact Words: At the end of the episode, Burns said he'll restore the plant's health care program to all his "full-time employees". Cut to the next scene with Homer informing Marge he's now a "freelance consultant".
- Mistaken for Terrorist: Apu when the guys try go get out of Canada with the drugs. He puts a towel around his head (resembling a turban) and spills hot coffee on his lap, making him let out a scream that sounds like a battle cry.
- Mr. Burns' plane is called the "Plywood Pelican", a parody of Howard Hughes' "Spruce Goose" (which was also parodied on the season five episode "$pringfield: or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Legalized Gambling" during the subplot of Mr. Burns becoming more and more like Howard Hughes in his later years).
- The Canadian drugstore Homer and his friends go to is called "Dudley Do-Drugs".
- During Ned and Apu's argument over religion, Ned sarcastically quips "Why don't you just call out for Hawkman?" after Apu cries to Shiva for help.
- Mr. Burns' rush to get Smithers his medicine towards the end spoofs Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Sleeping Beauty.
- Take That: To the death penalty in America, how over-medicated Americans have become, and the poor state of America's healthcare system (which has improved somewhat with the Affordable Care Act).
- Tempting Fate: Homer reassures his father that they'll get to Springfield in the Plywood Pelican on a wing and a prayer. One of the wings snaps off.
- Trolling Translator: The Mountie screws with his French translator.Mountie: We've confiscated your car and its contents.French Translator: Nous avons confisqué votre voiture et son contenu.Mountie: You may leave Canada, but never return.French Translator: Vous pouvez quitter le Canada, mais ne retournez jamais.Mountie: I am a big fat French idiot.French Translator: Je suis un grand gros - HEY!