Recap: The Simpsons S 16 E 17 The Heartbroke Kid
Springfield Elementary signs a deal with a snack company to install vending machines in the schoolswith Bart taking advantage of the situation to the point that he becomes obese and suffers a heart attack.
- Biting-the-Hand Humor: Towards the end:Bart: I've learned that even made-up corporate mascots can lie to you.Homer: (holding up stuffed animal) Did you hear that Foxie, the Fox Network fox?
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Tab Spangler is extremely mentally unstable, but is an effective weight loss coach anyway.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Tab. One fat camp exercise is making the patients pull him on a chariot while he whips them.Bart: This can't be legal!Tab: It's legal enough! (cracks whip)
- Gratuitous German: Homer sings "99 Lüftballons" (in the original German, not the English translation) by Nena.
- Last-Second Word Swap: When the family stages an intervention for Bart, Bart says "What the f-amily!"
- Mythology Gag: When Bart is having a heart attack, Homer tells him to "Do the Bartman".
- Opening Shout-Out: In one scene, a variation of the opening sequence is played, only it lasts much longer now that Bart had become slower because of his extra weight.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: Parodied when Rainier Wolfcastle throws some ice cream away as an exercise at the fat camp.Rainier: Here's the scoop: Your Haagen Dazs (hoggin' days) are over! (throws scoop into trash)
- Rule of Drama: Lampshaded and Played for Laughs as Tab Spangler takes Bart home to show the sacrifices his family is making.Tab: Young man, there's something I have to show you. In one hour. We have to drive there. No talking along the way, it'll hurt the drama.(later, while driving)Bart: Can I just...Tab: Shh, drama!
- Staging an Intervention: The Simpsons do this to convince Bart to lose some weight. When he tries to make a break for it, he is taken by "professional child snatchers" to the fat camp.
- Temporary Bulk Change: Bart becomes obese after eating too many snacks.