Recap: The Simpsons S 16 E 17 The Heartbroke Kid
Springfield Elementary signs a deal with a snack company to install vending machines in the schoolswith Bart taking advantage of the situation to the point that he becomes obese and suffers a heart attack.
- Gratuitous German: Homer sings "99 Lüftballons" by Nena.
- Mythology Gag: When Bart is having a heart attack, Homer tells him to "Do the Bartman".
- Opening Shout-Out: In one scene, a variation of the opening sequence is played, only it lasts much longer now that Bart had become slower because of his extra weight.
- Shout-Out: When the coach of the fat camp takes Bart home to show the youth hostel it became, Bart asks if the guests can see them and the coach says that they obviously can since he's not the Ghost of Christmas Past.
- Staging an Intervention: The Simpsons do this to convince Bart to lose some weight. When he tries to make a break for it, he is taken by "professional child snatchers" to the fat camp.
- Temporary Bulk Change: Bart becomes obese after eating too many snacks.