Recap / The Simpsons S 16 E 16 Dont Fear The Roofer
Sick of being unwanted, Homer befriends a man who works as a roofer. However, no one else can see him and Homer's insistence that the roofer does exist prompts everyone to think he has gone crazy (again).
- Acquitted Too Late: Non-lethal version. Everyone found out that Homer didn't imagine Ray after his electroshock treatment was complete. Homer was righteously upset about going through all that pain and suffering for no reason and forced Dr. Hibbert to finish the repairs to the roof as compensation.
- Applied Mathematics: Homer does this twice upon meeting Ray:
- When Ray mentions he's a roofer, Homer realizes that Ray plus the broken roof equals a happy Marge.
- When Ray offers him a big mug of beer, Homer considers that him plus beer equals a car accident...before he changed it to him being the President of the United States (resembling Abraham Lincoln)...who play basketball.
- Bait and Switch: After Homer accidentally ruined Lenny's surprise birthday party, he sadly started to leave, but was stopped by Moe, who seemed to be inviting him to stay...only for him to scrape the cake Homer sat on off his butt before shoving him out the door.
- Electric Torture: This was Homer's treatment for weeks after everyone was sure that he imagined Ray. To make it worse, Dr. Hibbert gave him jolts when he learned Homer's sense of humor wasn't affected and when he mistakenly believed Robin Hood was real. When Homer found out that it was all unnecessary however.
- Extreme Omnivore: When Homer is about to undergo his first treatment, Dr. Hibbert placed a mouthpiece in his mouth, which Homer promptly ate. Despite Dr. Hibbert telling him that it was rubber covered in Vaseline, Homer asks Marge to make some more of it at home.
- I See Them Too: After the majority of the episode where everyone thought he was made up, Ray is finally seen by those who disbelieved Homer. Of course, it does raise the question about why he was at the psychiatric hospital where they saw him.
- Karma Houdini: After learning that he gave Homer weeks of electroshock for nothing, Dr. Hibbert tried to invoke this by saying that Marge already agreed not to sue him when he validated her parking. When Marge pointed out that he hadn't punched a hole in her parking slip, he immediately did so. Fortunately, Homer didn't let him get away.
- Unfortunately, Marge herself plays this straight. Of all the Simpsons and Homer's friends, Marge really laid into Homer the most, even moreso than usual. Yet when she does eventually see Ray, she never actually apologizes. This combines with the below.
- Never My Fault: The people who blame Homer for ruining Lenny's surprise party were the ones who decided not to warn Homer about the party and placed a seat-shaped cake next to actual seats.
- Not-So-Imaginary Friend: Ray Magini. The instances of Snuffy-esque bad timing aside, there are reasons why specific people couldn't see Ray:
- The bartender had an eyepatch on the eye that saw Ray.
- Flanders couldn't see him because he was behind the chimney.
- Bart... ...well, a miniature blackhole sorta popped up behind Ray.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero / Oh Crap!: Everyone reacts appropriately after Ray shows up after Homer finished his treatment (for seeing the "imaginary" Ray).
- OOC Is Serious Business: Inverted. When Dr. Hibbert comments that Homer's sense of humor wasn't affected by his first treatment (saying he saw Yogi Bear along with him and Marge as a joke), he says that it's a bad sign before shocking him again.
- Significant Anagram: Ray Magini is an anagram of "Imaginary". It's lampshaded by Lisa near the end. And then Ray shows up.
- Take That: When asked why he takes so long to show up and fix the roof, Ray explains that he's a contractor. The explanation is quickly accepted and one of the Simpsons even comments on how unreliable contractors are.
- Ungrateful Bastard: The rest of the family didn't appreciate Homer's attempts to do deal with the leaky roof.
- With Friends Like These...: Marge and the family bitch Homer out like crazy about the house and stuff that happens due to the rain and when he gets a roofer to fix the roof and he takes forever to get back and fix the roof, they commit Homer to months of shock therapy because they jump to the conclusion that he's gone crazy.