Recap: The Simpsons S 16 E 10 Theres Something About Marrying
Homer becomes a minister after Springfield legalizes gay marriage (to boost their damaged reputation for tourists) and Patty comes out of the closet, much to the shock of her sister, Marge, who was naive to her sister's sexuality.
- Coming-Out Story: Patty comes out of the closet.
- Content Warning: In America, this became the first episode to open with a "Viewer Discretion Advised" card (usually reserved for Seth MacFarlane's cartoons, some of the racier episodes of Bob's Burgersnote , and even the short-lived Sit Down, Shut Up) before the opening, due to homosexual marriage being a hot-button issue with most U.S. viewers.
- Everyone Can See It: When Homer is looking for more gay couples to marry.Homer: Where's Lenny and Carl?Marge: Don't you push them! They have to work that out for themselves!
- Expy: Howell Huser, the host from the beginning of the episode, is a pretty clear Expy of travel host Huell Howser.
- Hypocrite: Marge was proud of Homer for marrying homosexuals but was disappointed when Patty revealed herself to be a lesbian.
- I Have No Son: Patty said she had no Non-Identical Sister if Marge doesn't accept her.
- Oh, Crap: Bart once he realized who he and Milhouse were pranking at the beginning of the episode.
- Only in It for the Money: The reason Homer became a minister. In fact, he was holding a sign reading "Death Before Gay Marriage" before learning a minister can get $200 for each marriage he celebrates.
- Screw Yourself: Homer has a fantasy about being married to himself.
- Snap Back: Lampshaded at the end of the episode:Lisa: Well, that's the end of Dad's wedding business.Bart: Why?
- So Proud of You: Marge said this word for word to Homer because of allowing people to express love.
- Sound Effects Bleep: When Reverend Lovejoy refuses to marry the gay couples that came to the church, Marge tries to convince him otherwise, only for Lovejoy to drown her out with the church's bell.
- Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace: When Homer reached this line during Parry's wedding, Marge spoke up. Patty thought it was because she disapproved of her sexuality, but it was really because Marge didn't want Patty to be hurt because her fiancee was really a man.
- Transparent Closet: In the words of Patty regarding her sexuality, "You could see it from space!"
- Visual Pun: Howell Huser rides into Springfield by falling off the back of a turnip truck. See the main entry for explanation.