Homer becomes a minister after Springfield legalizes gay marriage (to boost their damaged reputation for tourists) and Patty comes out of the closet, much to the shock of her sister, Marge, who was naive to her sister's sexuality.
- Coming-Out Story: Patty comes out of the closet.
- Content Warning: In America, this became the first episode to open with a "Viewer Discretion Advised" card (usually reserved for Seth MacFarlane's cartoons, some of the racier episodes of Bob's Burgers, and Sit Down, Shut Up) before the opening, due to homosexual marriage being a hot-button issue with most U.S. viewers.
- Oh Crap: Bart once he realized who he and Milhouse were pranking at the beginning of the episode.
- Only in It for the Money: The reason Homer became a minister. In fact, he was holding a sign reading "Death before gay marriage" before learning a minister can get $200 for each marriage he celebrates.
- Transparent Closet: In the words of Patty regarding her sexuality, "You could see it from space!"