Homer's mother, Mona, is finally released from prison — only to return due to a technicality.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Why Grandpa thought it was a good idea to testify against Mona.
- Burying a Substitute: At the end of the episode, Homer's mother hijacks a prison bus and escapes from the pursuing police, only for the bus to go off a cliff and end up trapped under a rockslide. The Simpson family are subsequently shown holding a funeral for Mona (losing the coffin in the process), but Homer later reveals that they Never Found the Body and the coffin was filled with the previous week's garbage.
- Call-Back: Frank Grimes tombstone makes another appearance.
- Character Filibuster: After the trial Sideshow Mel goes on a long rant about the hotel they stayed at featuring an Opinion Flip Flop, not even the judge can stop him.
- Comically Missing the Point: While announcing the Oops Patrol, Kent Brockman showed a photograph of Marge and Homer asked who got the prize.
- Dude, Not Funny!: When Homer starts chasing after the car taking his mother to jail, the driver stops the car to tempt Homer and speed off when he gets close, the other man in the car has this reaction
- Actually Pretty Funny: Then allows him to do it one more time.
- Evil Lawyer Joke:(Homer crashes into the police station)
Chief Wiggum: Luckily all you destroyed were bricks, mortar, and attorneys!
Attorney: Remember me... as a drain on society!
- Face–Heel Turn: Chief Wiggum was a big help to Mona in her first appearance but now he's leading the charge against her.
- Lead In: The episode opens with Homer, Bart, and Lisa doing yard work until Marge invites them inside to watch TV, saying it's too nice out for outdoor chores. Bart is happy, but Lisa and Homer suspect an ulterior motive. Marge forces everyone inside by spraying them with a gardening hose, and it turns out that Marge was featured on Channel 6's weekly "Oops Patrol" segment. Homer's ensuing envy sets up Mona's eventual return.
- Never Found the Body: As it turns out the coffin at the funeral contained yesterdays garbage.
- Noodle Incident / Comedic Sociopathy / Disproportionate Retribution: On the same day as Mona's trial Homer is on trial for torching a blood bank after they only gave him one cookie.
- Off on a Technicality: Discussed. As Mr. Burns used a technicality to send Mona back to prison, Homer complained technicalities should get people out of prison.
- Punny Name: Anita Bonghit.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Mr. Burns's view on why he should have won his courtcase.Mr. Burns: This is America, justice should favour the rich!
- The '60s: Kent Brockman presents a montage for people who are to young to remember which features among other things the moon landing, Richard Nixon's presidency, Woodstock, and Batman dancing.
- Kent Brockman: what a shrill, pointless decade.
- Take That!: Homer plans to hide his mother at a place nobody goes and chooses Disney's park in California.
- There's No Kill Like Overkill: Mona's bus falls of a cliff into a lake where it explodes and is crushed by many falling rocks.
- Disney Death: But she escaped just in time.