Tropes featured in the episode:
- Human Interest Story: Kent Brockman does one on the "Western craze" sweeping Springfield Elementary.Lisa: I'm Annie Oakley!
Nelson: I'm Kevin Costner, in one of his Western roles.
Ralph: I'm a gulch!
Kent: So I guess you could say... this barely qualifies as news.
- Hypocritical Humor: When Krusty is approached about doing a Western-themed show, Krusty initially rejects them, saying he wants his show to have a timeless quality. A staff member then tells him, "Here's your hanging Chad sketch, Krusty." Krusty is delighted: "Oh, good, you worked in Judge Ito."
- Performance Anxiety: Buck gets it when Krusty tells him that millions of viewers will be watching his show, including the TV Guide Cheers and Jeers columnist ("And he's already given out all his Cheers."). This leads Buck to start drinking again.
- Re Tool: Buck tells how he was a cop show star in the '70s, and all he did was "shoot hippies". He mentioned that they wrote him out of the show and it became Room222.
- Short Runners: Zig-zagged; Buck's show from the '50s only ran a year, but they did 360 episodes, "all of them great."