Sarah Jane is up to something. The kids get sick of her lying and sneaking around, so they follow her. Expecting something to do with aliens, they are shocked to see her on a date! Her boyfriend Peter Dalton soon pops the question. Clyde and Rani are naturally suspicious, and start investigating him. When they discover that his house is unlived in, Sarah Jane is unfazed. In fact, she's acting downright weird, waving off their suspicions and even deactivating Mr. Smith.
The day of the wedding arrives. Clyde smuggles K-9 into the chapel. Everything seems to be going smoothly, when guess who
crashes the wedding?
Turns out it's all a ploy by the Trickster, who gave a dying Peter a second chance at life and even love, in order to get Sarah Jane to forget about fighting aliens. The ring is a brainwashing device, and Sarah Jane's "I do" would have sealed the deal. The Trickster traps the Doctor, Luke, Rani, and Clyde Just One Second Out of Sync
with the rest of the universe, and Sarah Jane and Peter Just One Second Out of Sync
Even under threat of being trapped forever, Sarah Jane won't give in. In a Heroic Sacrifice
, Peter calls off the deal. Cue Tear Jerker
- Altar the Speed: Sarah Jane and Peter sure are in a rush to get married...
- Blatant Lies: "Do not look at me. Everything is normal." — K9
- Brainwashed: Sarah Jane, once again.
- Continuity Nod: Sarah Jane jokes about sending the Doctor's wedding invitation to Metebelis Three.
- Date Peepers: Luke, Rani, and Clyde
- December-December Romance
- Fourth Date Marriage
- Gold Digger: Rani and Clyde suspect that Peter is one.
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: The Pantheon of Discord, according to Clyde. The Doctor agrees.
- Heroic Sacrifice
- Just One Second Out of Sync
- Lame Excuse: Even K9 thinks Sarah Jane's excuses are pathetic.
- Mind-Control Device: Sarah Jane's engagement ring. When things get just too weird, though, she has the willpower to take it off.
- Parent with New Paramour: Unusually for this trope, Luke is enthusiastic about Sarah Jane's new beau, forbidding Clyde and Rani from ruining things.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: In a completely non-romantic example, this is Luke's response to Rani and Sarah Jane all dolled up for the wedding.
- Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace: Obviously. Done by the Doctor himself, of all party crashers.
- The Masquerade Will Kill Your Dating Life: Narrowly averted. Sarah Jane receives a package containing an alien life form at the same time Peter shows up at her house. Fortunately, Rani and Clyde are there to cover for her.
- Wedding Deadline: And the fate of Earth hangs in the balance.