Recap / The Sarah Jane Adventures S3 E5-E6 "The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith"
Sarah Jane is up to something. The kids get sick of her lying and sneaking around, so they follow her. Expecting something to do with aliens, they are shocked to see her on a date! Her boyfriend Peter Dalton soon pops the question. Clyde and Rani are naturally suspicious, and start investigating him. When they discover that his house is unlived in, Sarah Jane is unfazed. In fact, she's acting downright weird, waving off their suspicions and even deactivating Mr. Smith.
The day of the wedding arrives. Clyde smuggles K-9 into the chapel. Everything seems to be going smoothly... until the Tenth Doctor
crashes the wedding!!
Turns out it's all a ploy by the Trickster, who gave a dying Peter a second chance at life and even love, in order to get Sarah Jane to forget about fighting aliens. The ring is a brainwashing device, and Sarah Jane's "I do" would have sealed the deal. The Trickster traps the Doctor, Luke, Rani, and Clyde Just One Second Out of Sync
with the rest of the universe, and Sarah Jane and Peter Just One Second Out of Sync
Even under threat of being trapped forever, Sarah Jane won't give in. In a Heroic Sacrifice
, Peter calls off the deal. Cue Tear Jerker
- Altar the Speed: Sarah Jane and Peter sure are in a rush to get married...
- Bigger on the Inside: It's Clyde's turn to say it this time. Luke uses the term "dimensional trancendence" instead.
- Blatant Lies: "Do not look at me. Everything is normal." — K9
- Brainwashed: Sarah Jane, once again, in a nod to her tendency to get hypnotised in the classic series.
- Cartwright Curse: Poor Sarah Jane.
- Continuity Nod: Sarah Jane jokes about sending the Doctor's wedding invitation to Metebelis Three.
- Maria, Alan, and the Brigadier are also mentioned, though sadly can't make it.
- Crossover: This is the second time SJA has directly crossed over with its parent show. (At least when judged by airdate; the third crossover was filmed before this one, but aired after it.)
- Date Peepers: Luke, Rani, and Clyde.
- Deadpan Snarker/Vitriolic Best Buds: Mr Smith and K9, as always, show shades of this.
- Deal with the Devil: Peter does this, though in fairness, he thought it was a Bargain with Heaven.
- December–December Romance: Both Peter and Sarah Jane are getting on in years.
- Fourth Date Marriage: Justified, for once.
- Genre Blind: Apparently, Peter didn't think anything of giving Sarah Jane a ring that controlled her mind. And the fact that "the angel" gave it to him doesn't seem to have clued him in at all.
- Genre Savvy: When Sarah Jane starts keeping secrets and going off on her own, the kids correctly suspect that something's going on, though they don't realize what. Clyde also has the savviness to bring K9 to the wedding.
- Gold Digger: Rani and Clyde suspect that Peter is one.
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: The Pantheon of Discord, according to Clyde. The Doctor agrees.
- Ham-to-Ham Combat: Ten has an enormous ability to show off... and the Trickster is an enormous ham. The two end up meeting.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Peter, who gives the Trickster a brief "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
- Incoming Ham: The Trickster, as usual. DOCTOR!
- Just One Second Out of Sync
- Lame Excuse: Even K9 thinks Sarah Jane's excuses are pathetic.
- Large Ham: The Tenth Doctor turns up. Need we say more?
- Mind-Control Device: Sarah Jane's engagement ring. When things get just too weird, though, she has the willpower to take it off.
- Palette Swap: The Trickster invokes this, appearing in white instead of black to Peter.
- Parent with New Paramour: Unusually for this trope, Luke is enthusiastic about Sarah Jane's new beau, forbidding Clyde and Rani from ruining things.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: In a completely non-romantic example, this is Luke's response to Rani and Sarah Jane all dolled up for the wedding.
- Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace: Obviously. Done by the Doctor himself, of all party crashers.
- The Masquerade Will Kill Your Dating Life: Narrowly averted. Sarah Jane receives a package containing an alien life form at the same time Peter shows up at her house. Fortunately, Rani and Clyde are there to cover for her.
- Wedding Deadline: And the fate of Earth hangs in the balance.