Recap / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 S 1 E 4 Meet Casey Jones
After losing his temper in a fight with Michelangelo, Raphael goes to the surface to let off some steam. Instead he runs across a masked vigilante named Casey Jones. His temper turns out to be worse than the turtle's, leading the two to butt heads. When Casey challenges Raph to a rematch, the Purple Dragons plan to get the drop on both of them.
Meanwhile, Mikey bugs Donatello to build the guys a "Battle Shell".First appearance of Casey Jones
This episode provides examples of:
- Adventure Rebuff: Splinter tries this, albeit unsuccessfully.
- A Day in the Limelight: For Raphael—this is also the first episode to primarily focus on just one of the turtles instead of all four of them as a group.
- Chekhov's Skill: Earlier in the episode, Leonardo is training with Splinter to master the split kick. In the episode's climactic battle, Leo shows his brothers that he's mastered it.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Casey tells Raph that when he was a kid, the Purple Dragons burned down his father's shop for not paying protection. He went to the police about it, despite being told not to, and it's implied that he was killed by the Purple Dragons not long after (it's also implied that Hun was the one who killed him).
- Early Installment Weirdness: Normally when Casey goes into battle, he shouts "Goongala!". He, ironically, doesn't in his debut appearance.
- Easily Forgiven: Despite the fact that he attacked Mikey with a metal pipe, fully intending to do serious harm, the other Turtles were quick to forgive Raph for what he did when he came back home and apologized for it (at least it was a genuine apology). Also, when Raph first left to go up to the surface world, Mikey tried going after him before Master Splinter stopped him.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Casey with Raph and, eventually, the other Turtles.
- Good Is Not Nice: Casey Jones. He gets better though.
- Precision F-Strike: Well, the best they could do for a kids' show at least.
Raph: Hockey season's over. (knocks the hockey stick out of Casey's hands)
Casey: Yeah? (takes out two baseball bats) Well baseball's in season. And so are you, you freaky, freakin' weirdo! Batter up!
- Rule of Three: Leo performs the aforementioned split kick technique three times in a row.
- Single Tear: Casey, after he tells Raph the story about the Purple Dragons threatening his dad.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Leo and Don call Raph out when he loses his temper and almost attacks Mikey with a metal pipe.
Leonardo: Raphael! Have you lost your mind?!
Donatello: You OK, Mikey? What were you thinking, Raph?!