Recap: Teen Titans S 2 E 1 How Long Is Forever
Starfire: On my planet, Rekmas means "The Drifting," the point in which close friends begin to drift apart... and their friendship begins to die...
Robin: We're not going to drift apart, Star. I promise. We'll all be friends forever.
Starfire notices all her friends drifting apart and tries to call their attention to it. Then, in a fight with a time-travelling
thief, Starfire gets sucked into the future, where her fear has come true. Cyborg is confined to Titans Tower due to his final battery giving out, and him having to remain plugged into the tower's power source at all times. Beast Boy has become afraid of everything, locking himself in a cage to keep passersby away. Raven has lost her mind, believing herself to be hallucinating Starfire when she tries to visit. Finally, Starfire runs into Nightwing, who helps her figure out how to get back to her time, and reforms the (no longer Teen) Titans.
- Bad Future: The future Starfire travels to is undeniably this.
- Expy: The two punks who throw things at Beast Boy are based, appearance-wise, on the thugs in The Dark Knight Returns.
- The Freakshow: Where Beast Boy has wound up.
- Future Badass: Robin is the only Titan to get more badass.
- Future Loser: Arguably all the Titans to varying degrees, but most glaringly Beast Boy.
- Go Mad from the Isolation: Raven. She gets better, though.
- The Heart: This episode highlights Starfire's role as this. With her gone, Cyborg loses his humanity, Raven hides in her shell, Robin throws himself into his work, and Beast Boy lets his insecurities get the better of him.
- Mythology Gag: Besides the obvious (Robin becoming Nightwing as an adult), there's also how Nightwing stores his Robin costume, which is reminiscent of how Batman stores the costumes of retired or dead Robins.
- Screw Destiny: Starfire delivers a speech that sums this up.
- Ship Tease: Starfire and Nightwing's interactions in this episode are semi-romantic.
- Kind of blatant actually. And just a little awkward (and not to mention confusing) considering Nightwing is somewhere around his mid thirties.
- White Void Room: Raven's chamber.