Recap of Supernatural Season 4, Episode 2:
Are You There God? It's Me, Dean Winchester
Written by Sera Gamble.
Directed by Phil Sgriccia.
Air Date: September 25, 2008.
Sam, Dean, and Bobby are haunted by the spirits of people they failed to save
. This is the "Rising of the Witnesses", one of the 66 seals broken before Lucifer is released and the Apocalypse comes.
For this episode = 3 humans and 5 ghosts.
For the series so far = At least 253 humans (of which 3 were witches), 51 demons, 24 ghosts, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 2 shapeshifters, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 shtriga, 1 wendigo, 1 zombie.
- And I Must Scream: Meg makes perfectly clear that she was fully conscious when possessed by a demon and wanted Dean to free her.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: As in the last episode, Dean still refuses to believe angels and God exist.
- Captain Obvious
Sam: Where are we going?
Bobby: Someplace safe, you idjit!
- Come Out, Come Out, Wherever You Are
- Cold-Blooded Torture: It's revealed that in "Jus In Bello" (S03, E12), Lilith tortured her victims before killing them, including flaying Nancy alive.
- Crazy-Prepared: Bobby and his salt-coated, fully-stocked, iron panic room.
- Creepy Twins/Finishing Each Other's Sentences: The little girls who haunt Bobby.
- Daylight Horror: The junkyard
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu/Good Is Not Nice
Castiel: You should show me some respect. I dragged you out of Hell. I can throw you back in.
- Driven to Suicide: Meg's little sister.
- Falling Chandelier of Doom: Bobby has one made of iron which Dean uses to banish a ghost.
- Ghost Butler
- Have You Seen My God?: Dean asks where God is.
- How Many Fingers?: Dean asks this of Sam.
- I Got You Covered: The brothers have to fend off the ghosts while Bobby does his spell.
- In Mysterious Ways:
Dean: If you say "in mysterious ways" so help me I will kick your ass.
- Mind Rape: Meg was fully conscious as the demon used her body to kill; Agent Henriksen was forced to watch as Lilith tortured and killed everyone in the police station, including Nancy, whose skin was flayed in strips.
- Our Angels Are Different: Lampshaded.
I thought angels were supposed to be guardians. Fluffy wings, halos—you know, Michael Landon
. Not dicks.
Castiel: Read the Bible. Angels are warriors of God. I'm a soldier.
- Putting a Hand Over His Mouth: Done by a couple of little girls to Bobby.
- Running Gag: Dean likes pie.
- Rustproof Blood: Although Olivia has been dead for three days, she's still very red.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Lucifer, who Lilith is trying to release.
- Shout-Out: From The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. "If you're going to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."
- Similarly Named Works: Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret., the 1970 book by Judy Blume.
- Speak In Unison: Sam and Dean. "A sign of what?"
- Talking in Your Dreams: Implied with the sudden cut to Dean waking up after his conversation with Castiel.
- Wall of Weapons: In Olivia's closet.
- Wham Line: The Apocalypse and, later on, Lucifer walks free.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Loads of this from the ghosts.
- You Monster!