Sign of the Apocalypse
A Stock Phrase when something particularly unexpected happens, usually following OOC Is Serious Business. For instance, "Alice just spoke, does anyone see four horsemen riding up?" If it's someone saying the end is nigh if this thing happens, and then it does, see Cue the Flying Pigs. Often used to lampshade Dumbass Has a Point. For extra humor, someone with a sign may show up to declare The End Is Nigh. Not to be confused with Signs of the End Times, which is when you're literally seeing signs of the apocalypse.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Rurouni Kenshin
Kaoru cooking? Is it a sign of the apocalypse?
- Played with in Summerslam
Don't be ridiculous, it's not one of the signs of the apocalypse when he starts quoting Judy Garland. When he starts singing like Ethel Merman, then you've gotta worry.
- Buying the Cow
Mike, in a relationship? Isn't that one of the signs of the Apocalypse?
- In The Dresden Files book Proven Guilty, Harry thinks:
I started to get annoyed, but was struck by the disturbing thought that if I did, I would be coming down on the same side of the situation as Charity, which might be one of the signs of the apocalypse.
- The Nanny
Miss Fine and Miss Babcock walking arm in arm. Isn't that one of the biblical signs of the apocalypse?
- Rescue Me episode "Bitch".
Oh, sh*t. Sean Garrity readin' a book. That's the first sign of the apocalypse.
- Point Pleasant episode "Hell Hath No Fury Like a Woman Choked"
Well, you're falling in love. It's not one of the 7 signs of the Apocalypse. ... Is it?
- Puppets Who Kill episode "Dash the Greeter"
My God, no more attention. This is like one of the signs of the Apocalypse.
- Smallville, unwittingly making a Pun:
- In the final season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer they point to the band playing in the Bronze (Nerf Herder, a song from whom also provided the theme tune throughout the series) as a sign of the Apocalypse. At the same time as a lot of rather more conventional signs of the apocalypse are occurring.
- Family Ties:
Alex: She's right. I'm wrong, and Mallory's right. The world is ending!
- In 30 Rock, Kenneth has been convinced by a reverand that the apocalypse is going to happen soon. The other writers decide to mess with him, and tell him that they saw four flaming horses ride by. Kenneth says that the reverand told him that super-gay horses are one of the signs of the apocalypse.
- From Pearls Before Swine.
Rat: What is true happiness?...How does a dumb pig like you answer a question like that?Pig: I think happiness is finding an extra couple of french fries at the bottom of the bag.Rat: ...Pig made sense. The apocalypse is upon us.
- From Out There:
Chuck: Does this seem like a particularly awkward silence?James: Dude, Miriam's not saying anything. It's the end times, man.
- From Penny and Aggie, when the two leads put their Betty and Veronica rivalry behind them and become friends:
"But it can't be the Apocalypse today, the Mayan calendar says..."
- In Sinfest, Slick's politeness inspires this in Monique.
- Humorously used in an episode of The Fairly OddParents. Timmy gets an "A", which the other students panic thinking it's the end of the world since he's normally a terrible student. Crocker thought Timmy had help from his fairy godparents. Timmy actually aced the test out of sheer luck. He marked the answers in a way that made a drawing.
- She-Ra: Princess of Power
Hordak: The end of the world is upon us, Grizzlor has had an idea!
- Justice League Unlimited, in the grand finale, when Flash learns that the Martian Manhunter is married:
"These are the end times."