Once upon a time this would have been considered one.
A Stock Phrase
when something particularly unexpected happens, usually following OOC Is Serious Business
. For instance, "Alice
just spoke, does anyone see four horsemen
If it's someone saying the end is nigh if
this thing happens, and then
it does, see Cue the Flying Pigs
. Often used to lampshade Dumbass Has a Point
Not to be confused with Signs of the End Times
, which is when you're literally
seeing signs of the apocalypse.
Anime & Manga
- In The Dresden Files book Proven Guilty, Harry thinks:
I started to get annoyed, but was struck by the disturbing thought that if I did, I would be coming down on the same side of the situation as Charity, which might be one of the signs of the apocalypse.
- The Nanny
Miss Fine and Miss Babcock walking arm in arm. Isn't that one of the biblical signs of the apocalypse?
- Rescue Me episode "Bitch".
Oh, sh*t. Sean Garrity readin' a book. That's the first sign of the apocalypse.
- Point Pleasant episode "Hell Hath No Fury Like a Woman Choked"
Well, you're falling in love. It's not one of the 7 signs of the Apocalypse. ... Is it?
- Puppets Who Kill episode "Dash the Greeter"
My God, no more attention. This is like one of the signs of the Apocalypse.
- Smallville, unwittingly making a Pun:
- In the final season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer they point to the band playing in the Bronze (Nerf Herder, a song from whom also provided the theme tune throughout the series) as a sign of the Apocalypse. At the same time as a lot of rather more conventional signs of the apocalypse are occurring.
- Family Ties:
Alex: She's right. I'm wrong, and Mallory's right. The world is ending!
- From Pearls Before Swine.
Rat: What is true happiness?...How does a dumb pig like you answer a question like that?
Pig: I think happiness is finding an extra couple of french fries at the bottom of the bag.
Rat: ...Pig made sense. The apocalypse is upon us.