Lapis decides to leave Earth after Steven reveals what occurred on Homeworld.
- Armor-Piercing Question: Peridot rationalizes moving to space as good for Lapis's mental health, leaving her at a loss when Steven points out what she's avoiding.Steven: But what about you?
- Call-Back: After Lapis leaves, Peridot moves back into Steven's bathroom.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Peridot delays until the last second telling Lapis she wants to stay.Lapis: Why are you telling me this now?!
Peridot: Because... we're about to leave!
Lapis: Isn't that the worst time?!
Peridot: (beat) Yes!
Lapis: Then, why didn't you tell me sooner?
Peridot: Well, there are many things I should say, but they would upset you, so in general I don't say those things...
Lapis: Peridot, that's lying!
- Continuity Nod:
- Peridot once again calls the swimming hole she dug in "Barn Mates" a "smaller than average lake".
- When he and Peridot bump into him, Steven notices that Onion was wearing his (Steven's) farmer hat.
- Cutting the Knot: When Lapis decides to leave, Peridot tries to stall by claiming they can't leave their possessions behind, moving on to a new one each time Lapis insists they'll bring the previous one with them. Finally, Lapis figures she can get around the issue by taking the entire barn.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Lapis leaving Peridot and taking nearly everything they have entirely resembles a divorce. Peridot gets the dog, Lapis gets the house and everything in it.
- Downer Ending: Lapis leaves Earth out of fear of being involved in another war and takes the barn with her, despite the efforts of Peridot and Steven to convince her otherwise. Peridot is despondent as she moves back into Steven's bathroom.
- Dramatic Drop: Lapis lets out a Big "WHAT?!" and drops the entire barn upon hearing Peridot say that she (Peridot) doesn't want to go.
- Extreme Doormat: Peridot, in an effort to avoid upsetting Lapis, has ended up bending over backward both figuratively and literally for her, and has trouble conveying her discomfort at the idea of leaving Earth.
- False Reassurance: Peridot says she hopes to keep in touch after her and Lapis evacuate into space, but Steven points out that's far beyond her tablet's abilities. Peridot tries to spin this as a positive.Peridot: Maybe it's best I can't reach you. If the Diamonds do show up and destroy the planet... (feigning enthusiasm) we'll never know!
- Faux Horrific: Because Peridot considers the barn part of the context for her art installations, she is aghast at the idea that taking them out will turn them into performance pieces.Steven: It's okay. Performance art's not bad, just misunderstood.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Peridot's speech about how she bends over backwards for Lapis, followed by her actually bending backwards. And spreading her legs. And grunting. And then talking about how Lapis "loves this".
- Gone Horribly Right:
- Peridot's efforts to avoid upsetting Lapis further only ended up making it so that she's too much of a doormat to express her problems with Lapis' plan to flee into space until the last minute, and can't actually convince her not to.
- Lapis was originally just going to take Pumpkin and Peridot, abandoning everything else in the process. Peridot argued that she couldn't just leave the barn, her art, and her possessions, hoping this would talk Lapis down and convince her to stay. She did convince Lapis of the value of these things, but all this means is that Lapis took them with her when she left, depriving Peridot not only of her best friend, but also her home.
- Hidden Eyes: Lapis has these when she rejects Peridot's offer to stay and fight for Earth.
- Hypocritical Humor:Lapis: (irritated, Suddenly SHOUTING!) There's no need to get so emotional!
- I Choose to Stay: Peridot decides to stay on Earth and fight the Diamonds if it comes to that, since Earth is their home now and is worth defending. Lapis isn't convinced and flies off with the barn.
- Innocently Insensitive: Lapis unilaterally decides she and Peridot need to leave Earth, largely ignoring Peridot's feeling and dismissing her argument. Peridot has apparently encouraged this kind of behavior, repeatedly holding her tongue to spare Lapis' feelings (which Lapis finds dishonest). Ultimately, Lapis leaves by herself, but still takes the entire barn, leaving Peridot and Pumpkin homeless.
- Ironic Echo: When Steven sets up his bathtub as a makeshift bed for Peridot, she says "Wow... thanks." again, but in the most depressed manner possible.
- Literal Metaphor: Peridot claims she was "bending over backwards" trying to cheer Lapis up while Steven was stuck on Homeworld. She then demonstrates, literally bending over backwards.
- Long Last Look: Lapis takes one last look at Steven, Peridot, and Pumpkin before leaving with the barn.
- Musicalis Interruptus: Less than a line into a song about trying to talk to Connie, Steven gets a video chat from Peridot and Lapis.
- Never Be Hurt Again: Lapis was so traumatized by getting caught in the Gem war that she absolutely refuses to stay on Earth when she learns Steven ran from the Diamonds, and that another war may be coming.
- Oh, Crap!: Lapis and Peridot's reaction to hearing that Steven was face to face with Blue and Yellow Diamond and ran from them, leading to Lapis' decision to abandon Earth and go into hiding.
- Pun-Based Title: Usually raising a barn means building one.
- Put on a Bus: Lapis takes the barn into space to flee from the wrath of the Diamonds.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: When Lapis learns that Steven escaped the Diamonds, she fears they'll bring their wrath down on Earth and insists on leaving before that happens. Despite her best efforts, Peridot can't talk her out of it.
- Stealth Pun: Lapis uses her water powers to lift the barn off the ground. In other words, it's a barn raising.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: As Peridot and Steven search for Pumpkin, Peridot does a very bad job pretending she's happy with leaving Earth.Peridot: Maybe it's good that we'll be away from everything—where nothing can change. No surprises, or developments.
- This Cannot Be!: Peridot is baffled that Lapis would leave even after her telling her she wants to stay on Earth and thinks they can survive.
- "What Now?" Ending: Lapis leaves Earth and takes the barn with her. Pumpkin and Peridot move into Steven's house, the latter severely depressed. And Connie still hasn't called Steven back. Peridot weakly asks "What do we do now?" before a Smash to Black.
- What the Hell, Hero?: While on the phone with Steven, Peridot gives a blunt, cheerfully passive aggressive assessment for not talking to them days after getting back from Homeworld.Peridot: Lapis was worried you'd lost your phone on Homeworld, but I said "No way! He's probably just ignoring us!"
Steven: (embarrassed) Sorry guys. There's been a lot going on.
Peridot: Like what? Tell us.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Generally Living Forever Is No Big Deal for Gems, but Peridot clearly takes issue with the idea of living forever separate from both Earth and the Gem Empire.
- With a Foot on the Bus: Peridot waits until the last minute to turn down leaving the Earth with Lapis (and keeps Pumpkin with her).