Fear is a disease; hope is its only cure.Senator Padmé Amidala is called back home after the Naboo Royal Security force shoots down a tactical droid and its battle droid escort in the hills not far from Theed. The tactical droid is destroyed during an attempt to interrogate it, but an insect found in the chassis of one of the battle droids points to a certain swamp. While investigating, Padmé and Jar Jar come across a Gungan herdswoman, Peppi Bow, whose animals died after drinking from the river leading from that swamp. They enter the swamp and discover an underground lab built during the Trade Federation occupation, but are captured by Dr. Nuvo Vindi and his battle droids. Dr. Vindi has, with funding from the Separatists, resurrected the infamous Blue Shadow Virus, feared for being able to infect any species in the galaxy. And he's made it even more deadly — it's now airborne. He's built dozens of bombs for releasing the virus in important spaceports across the galaxy. Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka arrive on Naboo with their clones and assault the lab. After a fight, Dr. Vindi is captured and prevented from unleashing the virus. It's over . . . or is it?
- Bomb Disposal: A unit of clones specializing in this are brought in to defuse Dr. Vindi's virus bombs.
- Bookshelf Dominoes: Jar Jar starts one of these with shelves full of droid parts while flailing about in pain because his tongue was stuck in part of a disassembled droid.
- Call-Back: The secret lab was built during the Trade Federation occupation of Naboo a decade before.
- Chekhov's Gun: The last virus bomb, which Vindi gave to his personal droid.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Keep an eye on Dr. Vindi's LEP droid.
- Delicious Distraction: While the tactical droid is being interrogated, Jar Jar gets distracted by an insect (that Gungans eat) coming out of a cavity in one of the other battle droids. The insect proves to be a vital clue, however.
- Elaborate Underground Base: The secret lab.
- Fainting: Jar Jar faints in relief when the last bomb is deactivated, prompting Rex, Ahsoka and Padmé to turn and stare.
- Forgot About His Powers: Both times Vindi throws a vial of the virus at Anakin, he runs to catch it, even though he's a Jedi with telekinetic powers.
- Grenade Hot Potato: Vindi starts throwing vials of the virus as weapons, forcing the Jedi to catch them before they hit the ground and shatter.
- Hazmat Suit: Padmé and Jar Jar have them.
- I Have Your Wife: Vindi holds Padmé and Jar Jar hostage, threatening to electrocute them to death, in order to get Anakin and his clone troopers to surrender when they enter the main control room.note
- Mad Doctor: Doctor Vindi, of course. Supplementary material reveals he even has a medical degree.
- Mad Scientist: Dr. Vindi, in spades. There's really no other way to describe someone who willingly and enthusiastically resurrected an incredibly dangerous disease, and made it more dangerous. He also considers the past eradication of the virus to be "murder".
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: There exists a university out there that granted Nuvo Vindi a medical degree.
- No Biochemical Barriers: The Blue Shadow Virus is feared because it can infect any species.
- Oh, Crap!:
- Jar Jar, when Peppi Bow attacks him and pulls off the helmet of his hazmat suit.
- Padmé and Jar Jar, when Dr. Vindi reveals he's perfected an airborne strain of the Blue Shadow Virus.
- Omnicidal Maniac: Vindi seems perfectly willing to kill everything with the virus, including himself.
- Tempting Fate: When Obi-Wan and the bomb squad find the room with the virus bombs:
Trooper: This looks like the bomb room.
Obi-Wan: Yes, but luckily they appear inactive.
[Vindi remotely activates the bombs, and they start counting down]
Obi-Wan: I spoke too soon. Get these deactivated, now!
- Title Drop: Several times.
- Tongue Trauma: While chasing the insect, Jar Jar gets his tongue stuck in an astromech dome.
- Water Source Tampering: Unintentionally — some of the virus leaked into the local water source, leading to a herd of animals dying after drinking from the river. Presumably they cleaned it up.
- What's an X Like You Doing in a Y Like This?:
Dr. Vindi: What's a lifeform like you doing in a swamp like this?
Padmé: I was about to ask you the same question.