A serial killer has appeared on the station, and he seems to be using chemically-propelled projectiles, aka bullets, to murder his victims. Ezri is put in charge of the investigation, but she can't make heads or tails of the case. It takes a killer to catch a killer, so Ezri is forced to recall the deranged psyche of Joran from the depths of the Dax symbiont. With Joran's help, Ezri starts to find clues, but at the cost of her own psychological stability. . .and the killer is already working on finding his next target.
Tropes in this episode:
- Abnormal Ammo: Zigzagged Trope. In the 24th century, with phasers and disruptors the weapons of choice, bullets are abnormal ammo!
- Enemy Mine: The situation forces Ezri to seek the assistance of Joran.
- Eureka Moment:
- O'Brien figuring out how the killer enhanced the rifle to kill from across the station.
- Ezri realizing that all three victims had pictures of smiling faces in their quarters, and another one when she deduces that the killer is a Vulcan.
- If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him: Ezri is faced with this once she comes face to face with the killer.
- Improbable Weapon User: The killer seems to be using a transporter-assisted sniper rifle, which is like someone today putting a silencer on a musket.
- Journey to the Center of the Mind: The Joran/nightmare scenes
- Parting Words Regret: When Lieutenant Ilario asked to join Bashir and O'Brien in the Alamo program, they told him he couldn't. After he was found dead, they regretted not letting him play with them.
- Recycled IN SPACE!: This is basically a CSI episode IN SPACE!
- Sniper Duel: The episode culminates with one between Ezri and the murderer.