Recap / Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 07 E 14 Chimera
Odo meets another one of The Hundred, the Changelings the Founders sent out as infants to explore the universe. But this new Changeling is determined to take Odo away from DS9
This episode contains examples of:
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: A platonic version. Quark's rant about humanoid genes seems to stem from his genuine worry for Odo's well-being. Of course, he has to express it in the most grating way possible.
- Comes Great Responsibility: Laas doesn't seem to realize that having the capability to assume forms such as fire and fog, doesn't mean that he should assume them on a whim. He doesn't seem to get Odo's subtle hints that assuming certain forms can incite panic or at the very least, paranoia. Odo doesn't limit himself to one form to "fit in", he limits himself to one form to help the solids, only changing form when his work demands it.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Switch "Changeling" with "Gay" and the metaphor writes itself. Especially Quarks "Changeling pride demonstration" line.
- Fantastic Racism/Jerkass: From moment one, Laas flatly refuses to show any respect to humanoids, despite Odo's efforts.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Kira is willing to set Laas free and let Odo be with him.