Martok: On the bridge, during the fight, when you dropped your guard - how did you know I would not kill you?
Worf: I did not know.
Upon returning from captivity Martok is given a new command, the run-down bird of prey Rotarran
. His mission is to rescue a Klingon ship lost patroling the border. As they set out Worf is asked to come along as first officer, and Dax volunteers to come along as well.
They soon find that the crew's spirits are down through lack of victory and lack of, well, spirits
. The second ailment at least is solved when Dax provides a large supply of blood-wine for the crew, but that hardly solves the problem. And being Klingons, low morale can easily lead to violence.
Another problem comes up when they find Martok's morale is down; indeed he seems to have had his courage crushed by his captivity. The first indication is when they spot a Jem'Hadar ship and Martok refuses to pursue. Worf rationalizes this by saying they needed to continue on their mission. Whereupon Dax points out that that would be true on a Starfleet vessel but here on a Klingon ship that is almost cause for mutiny. A chance for a token victory absolutely cannot be thrown away and Martok's judgment if not his courage must be questioned.
They continue their voyage until they reach the border and find the distressed ship. Whereupon Martok again refuses battle. This time is enough. Worf challenges Martok for command. During the fight Worf deliberately lets his guard down. Whereupon Martok wins the fight but spares Worf's life. In his excitement at his victory, Martok gathers himself together and leads the Rotarran
to victory completing his mission and destroying a nearby Jem'Hadar ship in the process. When they return, Martok is grateful to Worf for helping him regain his courage and offers to adopt him into his clan which Worf accepts.
This is a fairly simple and straightforward plot. It concentrates mostly on showing life in the Klingon fleet from the Klingon point of view.
- Battle Couple: Worf and Jadzia, Also two Klingon crew members, Tavana and Ortakan.
- Battle Chant
- Becoming the Mask: The whole crew becomes the Klingon Proud Warrior Race mask toward the end.
- Beneath the Mask: We are given a glimpse of what Klingons are like under their swaggering and find that they are grumbling soldiers who hate their job as much as humans do.
- Big Badass Bird of Prey: The Rotarran at the end. Earlier not so much.
- Chastity Couple: Dax and Worf, temporarily at least. Presumably to avoid conflict of interest.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: The Warrior's Anthem which they sing on going into battle.
- Drunken Spacer: Klingons, whenever they get a chance.
- Duel to the Death: Averted. Both Martok and Worf survive.
- Everyone Comes Back Fantasy Party Ending: What do Klingons do when they win a battle? Do they write poetry or philosophical musings about the whole thing? Do they pay tribute to their vanquished foes? Well they may do these things. But the first thing Klingons do when they return from battle is to get rip-roarin' drunk together.
- Eyepatch of Power: Martok
- Fiery Redhead: Tavana
- Four-Star Badass: Martok, who suffers from the Worf Effect for awhile.
- Future Slang: Par'Mach'Ai which is Klingon for Love Interest.
- Honest Advisor: Dax to Worf, Worf to Martok.
- Klingon Promotion: Any Klingon may challenge his superior officer if he believes he's not fit for duty.
- Planet of Hats: Discussed. Some of the DS9 crew are incredulous at the thought of cowardly Klingons, but Dax explains that Klingons are like any other race, and not all of them live up to their own ideals. And as we later see, the crew of the Rotarran are pretty far from the Proud Warrior Race Worf exemplifies.
- Proud Warrior Race: Klingons obviously. However something of a reconstruction. Klingons have to be inspired to remember that they are a proud warrior race before they act like it.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The Rotarran
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Martok, also the crew of the Rotarran.
- Slice of Life: Much of this is really about showing life aboard a Klingon ship.
- Take a Level in Badass: When they destroy the Jem'Hadar ship.