Recap / Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 03 E 10 Fascination
Lwaxana Troi visits the station for the Bajoran Gratitude Festival, but wherever she goes, people's existing romantic relationships are suddenly on the rocks, while others develop spontaneous crushes on very unlikely partners.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Abhorrent Admirer: People find themselves pursued by people they wouldn't consider for romantic involvement. Subverted in that no one involved is physically unattractive or socially off-putting, except Quark.
- Above the Influence: Definitely Benjamin Sisko and Keiko.
- Crack Pairing: In-Universe, some of the odd latent attractions that emerge in the wake of Lwaxana's influence make sense, though they're impractical, as with Jake developing a Precocious Crush on Kira and Jadzia getting sweet on her longtime friend (and protector) Sisko when Bareil develops a roving eye for her. Since Bashir was always hitting on every attractive woman in sight and Kira's on the rebound from Bareil's apparent disloyalty to her, their sudden romance makes some sense too. The only pairing that leaves all the other characters scratching their heads in bewilderment is Quark suddenly throwing himself at the Happily Married Keiko. You don't have to be Lwaxana Troi to hear them all thinking what when he starts making aggressively amorous advances on her.
- Insistent Terminology: Don't tell Lwaxana she's getting old! Bashir wisely starts referring to Zanthi as a common affliction of the, eh, mature Betazoid.
- Living Aphrodisiac: Lwaxana Troi, though unintentionally.
- Love Is in the Air: Lwaxana's Zanthi fever caused her to project her emotions onto the people around her, the emotion in this case being sexual desire. However, Bashir points out that people are nevertheless acting on latent attractions.
- Love Triangle: Lwaxana is interested in Odo. Odo is interested in Kira. Kira is interested in Bareil
- Non-Action Guy: When Vedek Bareil wants to fight Sisko for Jadzia's love, Sisko No Sells a punch directly to his face and easily blocks all of the following punches. And then Bareil gets Curb-Stomped by Jadzia.
- Out-of-Character Alert: Thanks to Mrs. Troi and her telepathic space flu, people all over the station start getting loopy.
- Seduction-Proof Marriage: While almost everyone else is going loopy and falling in love, Miles and Keiko don't show even the slightest hint of attraction to any third party. As Miles says near the end when Keiko teases him for not having a latent attraction to her, "Nothing latent about it."