- Immune to Mind Control: Gul Dukat no sells an attempt by a Vulcan to mind-meld with him to mine information from him, which he puts down to Cardassian mental discipline.
- Karma Houdini: Hudson gets away when Sisko can't bring himself to shoot him.
- Subverted years later. By the time the Dominion wiped out the Maquis, Hudson had been killed.
- Poorly Disguised Pilot: Averted. This two-parter establishes the Maquis in order to lay the groundwork for Star Trek: Voyager. However, while it establishes the ideas of the show (showing Klingons, Native Americans, and former Starfleet officers among the Maquis), none of the characters for Voyager appear. In addition, the Maquis would end up playing a much more important story role on DS9 than VOY.
- Proxy War: The Cardassians are revealed to be secretly supplying their colonists with weapons and encouraging them to attack Federation colonies in order to make an end run around the peace treaty with the Federation. When Sisko discovers this he tries to use it to convince Hudson to come back onside and fix the problem through channels, but fails.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech:
- Dukat gives one to his Maquis captors, telling them that they don't have the stomach to do what must be done.
- Quark gives one to Sakonna, pointing out that with both sides being equally armed it's more advantageous (and logical) in the long run to work towards peace.
- Dukat gives Sisko one for not killing Hudson. Not that Sisko cares.
- That Man Is Dead: Sisko offers Hudson one last chance to rejoin Starfleet, bringing him his uniform. Hudson chooses to vaporize it with his phaser instead.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: Dukat chides Sisko and Bashir into shooting his captors.
Recap / Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 02 E 21 The Maquis
The situation in the DMZ erupts into a full-scale insurrection, and Sisko tries to put a stop to it.