Recap: Scooby Doo Mystery Inc S 1 E 14 Mystery Solvers Club State Finals
Sick in bed before the finals of the Mystery Solvers Club, Scooby Doo has a dream where he and some of his following sidekicks deal with a ghostly monster.
The episode provides examples of:
- Adaptational Villainy: Mudsy. Justified in that it is All Just a Dream, and the character is fictional in-universe.
- Affectionate Parody: The entire episode is a loving send-up of the old cartoons. It also parodies the sort of unlikely explanations for monsters that were used in older Scooby Doo series.
- All Just a Dream: Scooby-Doo dreams up the entire mystery.
- Adrenaline Makeover: Principal Quinlen. She starts off as very nervous and upset but the frantic pace and perils of the mystery causes her to lose her ponytail, glasses, and the top buttons of her blouse, and gains a more adventurous attitude.
- Hell, we even see her keeping her phone in her bra, literally seconds after she gets her adrenaline rush. Oh, and cleavage. Lots of cleavage...
- Art Shift: Scooby-Doo's dream is done in the style of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!?
- Baleful Polymorph: Scooby and the other sidekicks find what appear to be their human friends turned into guinea pigs(with their normal hair and appropriately-sized Iconic Outfits.) Scooby has an Out-of-Character Alert when Guinea Pig!"Shaggy" violently rejects an offered Scooby Snack.
- Breather Episode: No Mr. E, no Pericles, and a plot that's a little less dark and edgy.
- Crossover: Scooby Doo forms a group with the expies of himself from similar shows.
- A Day in the Spotlight: As Velma lampshades, "For the first time ever, the sidekicks have solved the mystery!"
- Doing In the Wizard: The Funky Phantom reveals that he was an out-of-work actor doing a weird Scooby-Doo Hoax variation ever since his in-series origin.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: The motive rant for The Funky Phantom/Lord Infernicus.
- Five-Man Band: Scooby's mystery solver team
- The Hero\The Smart Guy: Scooby (the team leader, and the only literate one)
- The Lancer: Jabber Jaw (a little more cowardly than Scooby, not a land mammal)
- The Big Guy: Captain Caveman (able to swing Jabber Jaw with one hand)
- Team Pet: Speed Buggy [the only member that's not an animal like being (the Funky Phantom used to be human)]
- Token Evil Teammate: The Funky Phantom (as the villain)
- Harsher in Hindsight: Fred's line about the Mayor being is dad his hilarious in the first scene. Come the finale...
- Hulk Speak: Captain Caveman.
- Plot Hole: Lord Infernicus and Funky Phantom appear together in the same place several times. Justified, as it's a dream.
- Shadow Discretion Shot: Spoofed. Fred assures Scooby they wouldn't leave him behind at the Mystery Solvers State Finals, but then excuses himself to go sob and wail — but we hear him and see his shadow angsting.Daphne: (winks to Scooby) They actually put it off till next week so you could get better... but we haven't told Fred yet.
- Suddenly Voiced: Boo, the Funky Phantom's Sidekick. Complete with Larynx Dissonance.
- Verbal Tic: Jabber Jaw's Curly-esque "nuyk, nyuk, nyuk" laugh.
- The Voiceless: Despite them appearing, the humans whom worked with Jabber Jaw, Captain Caveman, Speed Buggy, and Funky Phantom have no lines in this episode.
Scooby Doo Mystery Inc S 1 E 1 Beware The Beast From Below Recap/Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated Scooby Doo Mystery Inc S 1 E 19 Nightfright
Scooby Doo Mystery Inc S 1 E 13 When The Cicada Calls Recap/Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated Scooby Doo Mystery Inc S 1 E 15 The Wild Brood