Recap: Person Of Interest S 02 E 03
Season 2, Episode 3
Reese: "I've spent some time feeling lost."
Sofia: "What changed?"
Reese: "Someone found me, told me I needed a purpose."
The latest number is Sofia Campos, the headstrong, party-girl daughter of a Brazilian diplomat planning on running for his nation's presidency. Reese arranges to be hired as Sofia's bodyguard, suspecting that her father's political enemies will target her, but they soon discover that Sofia and her friends have unwittingly become involved with a gang of drug dealers who are cleaning house.
Meanwhile, Carter takes over the investigation of Alicia Corwin's murder, despite Fusco's advice that she let this one go. She goes to the morgue to see Alicia's body and finds Mark Snow there for the same reason; he claims he's been reassigned and no longer cares about finding Reese. They both learn from the coroner that someone made a postmortem incision in Corwin's arm. When Carter calls the CIA to find out what Snow's up to, she learns that Snow has been missing and his partner, Agent Evans, turned up dead several months ago. The audience learns that Hersh was responsible for the incision in Corwin's arm: he took out a microchip, and whatever is on it has him very concerned. And Snow reports back to Kara Stanton, who has wired him to an explosive vest and is forcing him to help her mission of revenge.
Tropes in this episode:
- Bar Brawl: Reese versus 10 thugs. Guess who wins.
- Bilingual Backfire: Sofia speaks insultingly of Reese in Portuguese; she's taken aback when he shows he's understood her.
- Break The Jerkass: From all indications, it seems that the five weeks Mark Snow has spent with Kara Stanton since we last saw them in "Matsya Nyaya" have been very effective in helping cut him down to size.
- Car Fu: Carter and Reese take down a hitman by ramming their car into the hitman's car, which then hits the would-be assassin.
- Climactic Music: "She's Long Gone" by The Black Keys.
- Continuity Nod: Mark Snow is still limping from the bullet wound he received at the end of "Matsya Nyaya".
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: "This is a break-up."
- Ditch the Bodyguards: Sofia tries this with Reese several times throughout the episode.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Sofia is a subtle example. Her hard-partying ways are a reaction to the loss of her mother.
- Explosive Leash: For Mark Snow.
- Heroic Safe Mode: Finch has been in one of these since his abduction by Root, but it starts (against his will) to break down, leading him to a full on Heroic BSOD when he leaves the safety of the Library for the first time since his abduction.
- Hidden Depths: Reese is apparently a talented cook. Who knew!
- High Altitude Intimidation: Reese does this to Jack at the end, and appears to be enjoying it.
- Omniglot: Sofia is fluent in six languages.
- Over-the-Shoulder Carry
- Rich Bitch: Sofia at first. She gets better.
- Slasher Smile: Holy cow, Reese, don't ever do that again!!
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Reese does one of these after leaving Sofia with Fusco.
- Stock Episode Titles: Shared with at least 47 other episodes.
- Warrior Therapist: Reese (having dealt with people dealing with trauma after battle, or perhaps even having it himself) is this in a good way for Finch, anticipating for the traumatic events of the last couple of episodes to catch up with Finch sooner or later and gently helping an in-denial-and-reluctant-to-ask-for-help Finch work through the worst of it.