Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 06 E 17 The Sword And The Dragon
Film watched: The Sword and the DragonAs you can guess, despite having quite a lot of good special effects for the late-1950s, this movie was prime riffing material for MST3K. Among other things, the riffing often centered on the fact that the movie "came from Finland," despite being a Russian-made movie. Like a previous Russian-made-otherwise film that appeared on the show, the changes were likely made to avoid mentions of Russia during the height of the Cold War... but it doesn't change how goofy the whole thing was.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation has examples of:
- Disney Creatures of the Farce: Gypsy parodies the scene where Ilya's wife sings as forest creatures help her create a magic tablecloth, with the help of Mike & the 'Bots. Gypsy bails on the sketch early because it's too weird for her.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:Crow: (as Sokolnichek) Father!Servo: (as Ilya) Yes, son?Crow: I want to kill you! (pause) Mother!Mike: Okay, stop now.note
- Heel-Face Turn: After Falcon learns Ilya is his dad, he immediately switches sides, w/o shock, angst, or any assessment on how cool it is to be a Tugar or how crappy it is to be Russo-Finnish.Mike: "The kid's loyalty turns on a dime!"
- Ho Yay, Invoked:Crow: It may be the wine, Lars, but you're a pretty man...Tom: Sven, no! Don't! You mustn't!
- Incredibly Lame Pun:Crow: When you're out of slits, you're out of pier.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Ilya reveals himself to Falcon, who was raised by Khali.Ilya: I am your father.Crow: Great; my dad's Burl Ives.
- Mondegreen: Servo hears and repeats Durbar's name as "Dove Bar" during the movie's 2nd act.
- Nerds Are Virgins: The opening and closing segments with Forrester and TV's Frank meeting the girls from Deep 12 revolve around this trope.
- Notable Original Music: Anything used for Supercalafragalistic-expialawacky!!!
- Overly Long Gag / Shaggy Dog Story: "A Joke By Ingmar Bergman"
- The Trope Formerly Known as X: The episode came out after Prince changed his name. No prizes for guessing what was referenced in one riff.Subject: Oh radiant prince!Servo: That's 'The Artist Formerly Known as Radiant Prince'.
- The Danza: Bridget Jones and Mary Jo Pehl play Deep 13's new neighbors... Bridget and Mary Jo.
- World of Ham: Oh yeah. The MST3K version has a skit where Ilya now works as a waiter,and ends with him screaming that he will go to kitchen and request HAM!"For it is HAM that I seek! HAM! HAAAMM!"