"This is like a stag film produced by the League of Women Voters."
"Ya'know, Peaches has a fresh, natural stupidness that isn't forced or contrived..."Film watched: Racket Girls with the educational short film Are You Ready For Marriage
—Crow T. Robot
The MST3K presentation contains the following tropes:
- Call-Back: "No, Lupita!"
- Continuity Nod: Jan in the Pan appears as a stripper. Mike calls it Sick and Wrong.Crow: Woo hoo! Show that neck! Hotsy! Hotsy!
- Cowboy BeBop at His Computer: Crow thinks Lisa Loeb is "Courtney Hole". Mike corrects him, saying she sings for "Pearl Hole."
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: The host segment following "Are You Ready For Marriage?" ends by Mike freaking out the Mads by stealing a move from it: snapping a rubber band.
- Father, I Want to Marry My Brother: The short prompts Crow to ask Mike for Servo's hand in marriage. Subverted in that they both admit they don't want to marry each other, but dammit, they're not getting any younger!
- Faux Horrific: The snapping of a rubber band. It even manages to freak out the Mads.
- Fetish Fuel / Fetish Retardant: Mike and the 'Bots veer wildly between the two, simultaneously being turned on and turned off at the same time, even in consecutive riffs.Crow: I'm being turned on by a woman long dead. (audible sigh/shudder)
- Flashback Stares: Spoofed during the short when, during a close-up shot of one of the characters blankly staring at the camera, Mike and the 'Bots make it appear as if she's having a Vietnam War flashback, complete with gunfire noises.Mike: (after cut away from close-up) Sorry, back in Da Nang there...
- Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have!: Mike and the 'bots reaction to Ruby.Mike: I never saw my Grandma naked, but this'll do.
- Harsher in Hindsight: Regarding a question in that Cosmo quiz, Bill Cosby still seems preferable by a now-shorter margin. We know he hasn't killed anyone (so far).
- Hilarious in Hindsight: "Congratulations, Clara & Rita, on your wedding."
- Mundane Made Awesome: Mike uses a cheesy analogy from the short to utterly terrify Forrester and Frank:Dr. F: "Marriage" — hah! What would you know about marriage?
Mike: (Yanking on a rubber band) Well, I know that if a marriage is stretched too much... it can snap!
Frank: IT'S GONE! Where did it go?!
Dr. F: Be careful! I've gotta send send you your feature presentation, Racket Girls! It —
Mike: (Playing with yet another band) Well, I know that if the movie is stretched too long... it can snap!
Dr. F: WHERE DID IT GO?!
Frank: HE'S A SORCERER!!!
- Running Gag: In the final wrestling match, Rita Martinez suddenly screams. For the next few minutes, Mike and the bots insert random screams in-between their usual riffs.
- Actually, they were likely imitating the screaming fans. They barely did it in the first two matches, but really got into it during the main event.
- Stock Footage: Lampshaded.Servo: "Police cars, not dissimilar to these, were called to the scene. This is a narrative approximation of something that may or may not have happened."
- Up to ElevenMike: This director has out-Wooded Ed Wood!
- Later:Crow: When Ed Wood saw this, it was like when Truffaut saw Citizen Kane.
- Waxing Lyrical: Dr. Forrester in the last host segment, performing the wedding of Servo and Crow:
- Wild Mass Guessing: Mike begins to wonder if the film has some meaning "in some deep, hoary netherworld".
- With Lyrics: The gang supply lyrics for the music they dub the Ukrainian national anthem.Ukrainia, my bitter homeland! Your strip mines, your big reactors...!
- Wrestler in All of Us: The wedding of Crow and Tom Servo in the second-to-last sketch is stopped by a sudden wrestling match. Mike and the 'Bots create wrestling personas after the film.