Recap / Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 03 E 02 Gamera
Film watched: Gamera
aka Giant Monster Gamera
This is one of the nine Sandy Frank Japanese films originally used for a KTMA episode that was riffed again a few years later on Comedy Central
The KTMA Segments:Segment 1
- Joel shows how Crow was frozen into the SOL's Christmas tree, and that they're doing another Gamera movie.
- Joel checks up at Servo, who compliments Crow as a Christmas tree. Joel then answers a message about his hair stylist, which leads him to roll credits up to the stylist's name.
- Joel answers some more messages, and asks Gypsy to do her Godzilla impression. Joel then asks the viewers about their opinions about colorization.
- More messages are answered, including members of the "Coalition of Friends for Giant Mutant Turtles" and the "Friends of the Coalition for Giant Slimey Lizards with Long Nasty Tongues". Cambot replays footage from Gamera and Barugon's bout, which Servo concludes that it was a fair fight.
- Joel thanks the viewers for their calls, and Cambot replays footage of Crow's freezing. Joel explains the Christmas and Hannukah to Gypsy, to which the two sing "O Tannenbaum" to Crow.
The KTMA version provides examples of:
The Comedy Central Segments:
During Comedy Central version of the episode, the Bots mock Gamera's attachment to Kenny, the journalist character is deemed to be in need of a restraining order, and turtles all around the world are pitied.Prologue
- Tom imposes a regimen of voice excercises and stretches to prepare Joel and Crow for the experiment.
- Tom wraps up the training. For the invention exchange, Joel shows a salad box capable of holding much more salad than it appears capable of, while the Mads present a vacuum for cleaning bird cages that accidentally suck the bird in as well.
- Tom Servo sings a sad love song to a turtle.
- Crow and Tom try to use voodoo to hurt Kenny, the obnoxious kid from the film. At Joe's urging, they outline the reasons behind their hatred to the character.
- Crow's, Tom's and Gypsy's beauty session is interrupted when Gamera(played by Mike Nelson), who asks for Cling-Free. The Bots use the opportunity to ask him a few question about his life as a giant turtle before Godzilla calls Gamera to ask about their crossover.
The Comedy Central version provides examples of: