"What'd y'all order a dead guy for?"
When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, well...yeah, you know the rest.
Mal and Zoe get the corpse of an old friend mailed to them.
Tropes used in this episode include:
- Hat Etiquette: Jayne removing his hat out of respect at the funeral.
- Iconic Item/Nice Hat: The first appearance of Jayne's iconic hat. Also see the main page for Nice Hat.
- Jerkass: The corrupt cop's already a piece of work, but on the way out he takes careful note to insult Jayne's hat, and spit on Serenity.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Mal in the flashback.
- Reality Subtext: The cast learnt during the funeral scene the series had been canned. It shows.
- Ridiculously Difficult Route: Invoked by Mal by having Wash fly Serenity through a very narrow, twisty and uneven canyon (which even Ace Pilot Wash visibly finds difficult) in order to escape the (larger) ship that is chasing them. However, the police aboard that ship defy the trope by simply flying their ship above the canyon and shooting at them from there.
- Shout-Out: The pig fetus in a jar may be a reference to the Angel episode "Orpheus" in which Willow appeared to re-ensoul Angel.
- Spot The Thread: Book realizes the cop crooked because he hasn't called for backup from the Alliance military base that's on that same planet, implying he doesn't want them to know he's there any more than Serenity's crew does.
- Stealth Insult: When Jayne tries on the knit hat he got in the mail from his mother, Wash comments, "Man walks down the street in that hat, you know he's not afraid of anything." Jayne replies, "Damn straight."
- Surgeons Can Do Autopsies If They Want: Simon, obviously.
- With Catlike Tread: A flashback shows Zoe warn Tracey never to let the the enemy know where you are, the camera pans to Mal doing the complete opposite of what she said.