Season 3, Episode 1
Season of Death
Crichton is trapped on the operating table with his brain open, Scorpius and the Peacekeepers have taken the Diagnosian's enclave and there's a Scarran on the loose. Chiana and Jothee make a terrible mistake, and Zhaan tries something very dangerous to bring back Aeryn.
Tropes present in this episode include:
- Ace Pilot: Officer Kobrin, who is confident that he can evade Talyn long enough for them to make it back to the carrier, and boasts that he is the most highly rated pilot in the fleet. Not quite as good as he thinks, but good enough for Scorpius's plan.
- Back from the Dead: Aeryn
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: Between Crichton and Harvey. However, once Crichton realizes that Harvey is now powerless and trapped in his head, it rapidly turns into a Curb-Stomp Battle in John's favor.
- Big Damn Heroes: Aeryn again.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Crichton demonstrates to Harvey who is really in control.
- Foreshadowing: After Braca insists that something be done about Crais and Talyn.
- Double Agent: Grunchlk, who is working for Scorpius as well as the Scarans.
- "Hell Yes" Moment: As he is smacking Harvey around:
Crichton: Can I get a "hell yeah?!"
Crowd: HELL YEAH!
- Heroic Sacrifice: Zhaan gives up her spiritual energy to revive Aeryn, knowing what that will mean for herself.
- Ironic Echo: After the crew learns the donors aren't actually dead, Grunchlk insists that they are all "effectively dead." Stark later finds Grunchlk in a cryopod, he reports him as "dead too... effectively..."
- Large Ham: Crais, complete with Milking the Giant Cow, when he orders Talyn to open fire on Scorpius's ship.
- Not Quite Dead: Scorpius tricks the crew into thinking he was aboard the Marauder that Talyn destroyed.
- Oh Crap: Scorpius when he learns that the Command Carrier will be delayed in picking them up for another five hours.
Scorpius:Crichton’s shipmates won't stay away that long.
Braca: We can eliminate them.
Scorpius: They don't worry me; a Leviathan gunship commanded by a vengeful traitor does.
- Promotion to Opening Titles: Wayne Pygram (Scorpius & Harvey), Lani Tupu (Crais) and Paul Goddard (Stark).
- The Reveal: Grunchlk snuck a Scaran into the facility, and set his Cryo Pod to thaw him out when Scorpius arrived, suspecting that Scorpius would not act with the best intentions.
- Shout-Out: Crichton's "Hell Yes" Moment above is a reference to "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, for whom "Can I get a 'Hell yeah?!'" is a Catch Phrase.
- Spanner in the Works: First Rygel, and then the Scaran.