Recap / Family Guy S 8 E 21 Partial Terms Of Endearment
: June 20th, 2010 (UK)
Lois' best friend, Naomi (voiced by former Saturday Night Live
cast member, Julia Sweeney), asks Lois to be a surrogate mother, as she has conception issues, but when Naomi and her husband die in a car accident, Lois must choose whether or not to abort the baby — and Peter (after trying to injure Lois so she can miscarry) becomes a pro-life advocate.NOTE
: Because of how heated abortion and the pro-life vs. pro-choice debate is in America, this episode never saw any airtime on FOX, Cartoon Network
, local syndication, or TBS. It did, however, get a stand-alone DVD release, was shown on overseas channels (albeit edited for time) in the United Kingdom and Australia, and was discussed briefly on the Family Guy
live-action retrospective, "200 Episodes Later."NOTE 2
: For the purposes of neutrality, the politics of abortion will not be discussed on this page
"Partial Terms of Endearment" contains examples of:
- Author Tract: Subverted. Besides some of the usual Christian bashing when it comes to abortion, it doesn't favor or oppose abortion and actually shows the pros and cons of the issue. Sadly, this wasn't enough to let FOX run the episode.
- Experimented in College: Lois with Naomi
- Family Relationship Switcheroo: Discussed. Meg offers to be Dale and Naomi's surrogate, and Lois says, "Meg, it was hard enough on your body when you gave birth to Stewie ... just kidding!"
- Status Quo Is God: At the end of the episode, Lois tells the family that she's considered all the positives that will come from having another child... then Peter hastily informs us that she still got the abortion.
- Very Special Episode: Downplayed. It's not overly dramatic about the issue (in fact, it has a lot of the humor you'd expect from a typical Family Guy episode), but it does touch on a serious issue and addresses it with little to no jokes or childish burns against the supporters and detractors.