Recap: Family Guy S 1 E 2 I Never Met The Dead Man
Airdate: April 11, 1999Peter teaches Meg how to drive in time for her road test. When Meg fails for racing an Amish buggy, Peter gets distracted by the FOX reality special, Fast Animals, Slow Children, and hits the town's cable satellite, causing all of Quahog to go without TV, which slowly drives Peter crazy...until Lois rescuing him from an angry mob makes him realize that there's more to life than television. Meanwhile, Stewie uses the town's banged-up satellite to create a weather machine so it can snow all around the world and wipe out the broccoli plant.
"I Never Met The Dead Man" contains example of (YMMV Goes Here):
- Bowdlerization: On the syndicated network TV version, the part where Tom Tucker and Diane say politically incorrect things now that Quahog has no cable (until the cameraman tells them that they're still on the air in Boston) was edited. Tom's line, "I'm The Lord Jesus Christ. Think I'll go get drunk and beat up some midgets" was shortened to "Think I'll go get drunk and beat up some midgets," while Diane's "Well, Tom, I just plain don't like black people" was cut entirely, making it look as if Diane was laughing at what Tom was saying.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The German sausage clerk taking over a Czech sausage booth and a Polish sausage booth. To make it more obvious, the German clerk looks like a fat version of Adolf Hitler.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite passing the blame for the accident off to Meg, Peter winds up caring about his family more once TV is gone.
- Sanity Slippage: Peter starts wearing a cardboard TV monitor in front of him and becomes convinced that everything he sees is a TV show.Peter: (seeing townspeople advance toward him menacingly) Oh man, look at these guys. Looks like some boob's about to get lynched.
- We Want Our Jerk Back: The family once they get tired of Peter making them do wholesome activities.