Recap: Doctor Who S8 E3 "The Claws of Axos"
Overweight, underpowered museum piece... Might as well try to fly a second hand gas stove.A spaceship arrives on Earth and two beautiful, golden-skinned humanoids step out, saying that their ship is damaged and that, in exchange for time to lay over and make repairs, they will offer humanity a substance called Axonite, which can cause animals to grow to huge sizes, ending world hunger.However, the Doctor is sceptical and discovers the true form of the Axons - hideous tentacled monsters who have been invited to Earth by the Master to drain the Earth's energy. They, their ship and the Axonite are all in fact one single parasitic entity.The Master is captured, but offered his freedom in exchange for helping UNIT and the Doctor to defeat the Axons. The Master's plan is to use the TARDIS to absorb energy from a nearby nuclear power station, then release it all at once into Axos - but this is an inherently dangerous plan and the Doctor has a better one. He and the Master travel with the TARDIS into the centre of Axos, where the Doctor traps the ship and Axons in a time-loop from which it can never escape - but unfortunately, the Master does.
— The Master appraises the Doctor's TARDIS
- Beauty Equals Goodness: Subverted. The Axons may be pretty and offer their technology to Earth, but it's all part of a Wounded Gazelle Gambit.
- Combat Tentacles
- Disposable Vagrant: Poor Pigbin Josh is the Axons' first victim.
- Fake Defector: The Doctor.
- Hilarious Outtakes and Deleted Scenes: This is one of the few Doctor Who stories for which material from the original studio recording exists, so mistakes such as the Doctor missing his cue, as well as extra scenes cut from the final programme, can be seen on the DVD.
- Ironic Echo Cut: The Doctor says he's happy that the Axonite will be kept in Great Britain only. Cut to Chinn being forced by the UN to distribute the Axonite over the entire world...
- Jerk Ass: Chinn.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: The Doctor reveals (to the Master, no less) that the Time Lords have blocked his knowledge about time travel to prevent him from repairing the TARDIS and escaping his exile on Earth.
- Magical Particle Accelerator: Providing enough energy for time travel? Check!
- The Master
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: Chinn.
- Organic Technology
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Freak weather conditions during filming got an in-story explanation.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: Chinn is right about not wanting the Axonite to be distributed over the entire world, though it's because he's greedy, rather than because the Axonite is dangerous.
- Title Drop: Subverted by Chinn, as while he's ranting about the Doctor's lack of clearance and dossier calls him "Doctor...(Beat)...whateverisnameis..."
- The Doctor drops the title of the serial in the last episode, though.
- The Unintelligible: Pigbin Josh.
- The X of Y
- Trojan Horse: The Axonite.