Recap: Calvin And Hobbes The Series S 2 E 4 The Transmitter Conspiracy Part 1
The first part of the episode is a flashback narrated by Calvin. In it, he details how Andy and Sherman met Socrates after the Teacher Creature incident.
Socrates, being The Prankster
, quickly subjects Sherman to a trap that results in him getting covered in mustard. Enraged, he concocts a revenge plot. After Calvin accidentally stumbles upon Sherman's Mad Scientist Laboratory
, he is enlisted to aid Sherman in the plan - sedate Socrates and install an alien transmitter in his head. After it gets activated (with the code being 98462), Andy and Sherman eventually agree to go along with it, if only for how silly Socrates looks when it activates.
With this, the flashback ends, and the episode resumes in the present day, where Socrates pranks Calvin and Hobbes and gets interrupted by his transmitter (set only to interrupt him when Galaxoid and Nebular make contact), which inexplicably picks up a conversation at an alien burger joint. Concerned, Calvin and Hobbes consult Sherman, who realizes that the chip is worn out and must be upgraded, which shouldn't take too long...
Meanwhile, Dr. Brainstorm goes over his latest plan: kidnap Hobbes and hold him ransom for Calvin's inventions. He creates an illusion to make Calvin and company believe a storm is coming, and Socrates stays over at Calvin's for the night. Jack then tries to snatch Hobbes, but he isn't visible from their viewpoint... but Socrates is, and due to the monitor being green (and thus, his red stripes completely unnoticeable), he grabs Socrates by mistake!
Calvin learns of the plot through a note left by Brainstorm, and he quickly deduces that Socrates was kidnapped. He and Hobbes go to enlist the others. In Brainstorm's helicopter, the duo learn of their mistake before Socrates gets a transmission from a pizza place, thus giving Brainstorm an idea.TO BE CONTINUED IN PART 2
- Accidental Misnaming: Brainstorm mistakes Socrates for "Caesar", the only thing he remembers being that "[it] was Roman".
- As You Know: Lampshaded by Jack:
"Yeah, and if I recall correctly, that's all the stuff we already knew."
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Brainstorm's note.
"Dear Calvin, I, Dr Brainstorm, have kidnaped your friend, Hobbes, and in exchange for his safe return, you must surrender all of your inventions. BWA, HA, HA, HA, HA! Sincerely, Dr Brainstorm. PS, Jack says 'Hi'."
- Bread and Circuses: Implied from one of the aliens' quotes:
"I heard that the dictator was planning to give us all free merchandise for our moderate behavior!"
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: How Andy introduces himself to Socrates:
"I enjoy video games, basket ball, and putting up with [my] pet talking hamster."
- Distressed Dude: Socrates.
- Fictional Currency: Planet Zok apparently uses geekoids, froiks, and sandlumbs.
- First-Person Smartass: Calvin during the flashback.
- Hostage For Macguffin: Brainstorm tries to kidnap Hobbes in order to get Calvin's inventions, but unfortunately he kidnaps Socrates instead.
- Hulking Out: Referenced as Socrates' transmitter goes off.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: An early part spoils the twist of Attack Of The Teacher Creature (though not the later twist about the monster actually existing).
- Living Macguffin: The flashback shows how Socrates became one.
- Noodle Incident: Socrates' malfunctioning transmitter picks up on a variety of different signals, all of which are decidedly... odd.
- Remember When You Blew Up a Sun?: Inverted when Jack recalls Brainstorm's nature to not think things through, like when he made Yellowstone erupt.
- That Cloud Looks Like: Calvin and Hobbes do this in the first part of the post-flashback episode. Hobbes only sees jungle cats.
- That's Gotta Hurt: From an alien Noodle Incident:
"AND THE COUNT IS DOWN! OOH, THAT WILL DEFIANTLY
LOOK HORRIBLE IN THE MORNING!"
- Weather-Control Machine: Subverted - Brainstorm's weather-maker only makes an illusion of changed weather.
- Whole Episode Flashback: Downplayed - the first half of the episode is a flashback.