Recap / Calvin And Hobbes The Series S 2 E 3 Monkey See Monkey Maim
Calvin and Hobbes play football, but soon switch to Calvinball
. Socrates comes by, informing the two of a circus truck coming by. Hobbes voices his disgust with circuses, and they resume their game. They find a bunch of circus trucks coming around, and one hits a hole in the road, dropping a box. Calvin examines it, noting that it says "WARNING! MONKEY! DO NOT OPEN THIS BOX!
Calvin concludes that the box contains something monkeys aren't supposed to see
, and Socrates convinces him to open it. It scares off Moe and his Gang of Bullies
, and Hobbes is nervous about it.
Unsurprisingly, the monkey (apparently named Monkey) starts wreaking havoc on practically every character. Calvin finally stops it by giving it a ton of bananas.
- A Dog Named "Dog": Monkey.
- Author Catchphrase: "Help. Cry for help." makes a reappearance here, after Calvin and Hobbes III: Double Trouble and "The Black Turning Funnel Part 1" - this time, Hobbes says them after meeting the monkey.
- Balloon Belly: The monkey, after finding the banana pile.
- Call Back/Mythology Gag: A reference to an early strip is worked in early on and near the end.
- Comically Missing the Point: Twice in a row!
Well, Hobbes, do you know what this means? Hobbes:
No ice creme
Well, yes, but do you know what else
it means? Hobbes:
It means that circus trucks are now using phony imposter ploys to get us out here! We should sue them!
- Hypno Fool: A variant - all Calvin has to do to freak out Moe is make some monkey sounds.
- Insane Troll Logic: How Calvin deduces the contents of the box.
- Maniac Monkeys: The episode revolves around one.
- Medium Awareness: Akin to "The Case of the Rogue Water Balloon", Calvin demands that Hobbes not use four-letter words. His next few lines are all four-letter words, and Calvin takes notice.
- Noodle Implements:
idea, Hobbes! I'll go get the flags, wickets, masks and Mom's eggplant casserole.
- Running Gag: "Hasp".
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Invoked by Calvin:
- Static Electricity: Socrates calls Calvin "Static Electricity Lad". Calvin resents it.
- Schmuck Bait: In-Universe - "DO NOT OPEN THIS BOX!".
- Shout-Out: The "hasp" debate is a reference to Hank the Cowdog.
- Twitchy Eye: Monkey gets one when it sees the pile of bananas.