Recap: Blackadder S 3 E 3 Nob And Nobility
Scarlet Pimpernel Fever has swept London. Everyone thinks he's so brave for rescuing French aristocrats. Edmund, of course, is simply annoyed, and when he can't take it any more, bets that he could go to France to rescue an aristocrat. George gives him a wonderful send off, but as we all can guess, Edmund has no intention of going to France; he's just going to find one of the refugee Frenchmen, and get him to PRETEND he's been rescued.They find a suitable aristocrat, but are captured by a French Revolutionary who has just killed the ambassador and sentenced to death. The count gives them suicide pills, but before he can take them, he is removed for torture. Edmund, armed with the suicide pills, slips one into the drink of the torturer, who then reveals herself as the Scarlet Pimpernel! But it's too late, and after a prolonged death scene, dies.Edmund and Baldrick escape with the Count in tow, and relate a completely made up story of rescue to the prince, who, needless to say, is impressed. But Edmund's triumph doesn't last long; the Count outs him, and reveals HE is also the Scarlet Pimpernel, the partner of the deceased "torturer". But before Edmund's ruse can be revealed, he remembers he has one more suicide pill... and both Scarlet Pimpernels are now dead. But who is the Scarlet Pimpernel then? Prince George has an envelope of money to give him. Edmund cuts in and says the aristocrats were NOT the Scarlet Pimpernel, and the true Scarlet Pimpernel would be someone who denied his identity, and when asked "Are you the Scarlet Pimpernel?" would reply "Absolutely not." "Edmund, are you the Scarlet Pimpernel?" George asks. "Absolutely not." Edmund replies.
- Anything That Moves: According to Edmund, any Frenchman would go to bed with the kitchen sink if it wore a tutu.
- Brief Accent Imitation: Blackadder affects a working class English accent while trying to curry favour with the Revolutionary.
- Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys: Edmund seems to have this view of the French.
- Disguised in Drag: Smedley.
- Epic Fail: Prince George spends a whole week trying to put some trousers on. And he only manages to get them stuck on his head in the end.
- Everything's Sexier in French: Mrs. Miggins, George, and pretty much everyone else thinks this.
Revolutionary: Ah'm French, and ah'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petite pois!
- The Revolutionary objects to this view.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The "Huge, Suspicious Looking Sausages", which are in fact a horse's genitals.
- Lethal Chef: Mrs. Miggins seems to be this, at least when she attempts French cooking.
- Mood-Swinger: Anyone who takes the suicide pills.
- The Pig Pen: Baldrick's utterly disgusting hygiene is used by Blackadder to talk the Prince out of going to France.
- Rich Idiot with No Day Job: Topper and Smedley look like they are, but they're in fact the Scarlet Pimpernel.
- Riddle for the Ages: What exactly Madame Guilloutine says to the revolutionary to make him flee the room.
- Something Only They Would Say: Played with at the end, after inadvertently killing what may have been the Scarlet Pimpernel, upon learning George was planning on granting the Pimpernel with an enormous postal order, claims that if asked if he was, the Pimpernel would claim that he isn't. An astonished George asks Edmund if he is the Scarlet Pimpernel, Edmund smirks and replies with "Absolutely not, sir."