Recap: Avatar The Last Airbender The Fortune Teller
"Man, sometimes I forget what a powerful bender that kid is."
One particular morning, Aang comes to a stunning revelation: Katara is hot. This revelation becomes even stronger when they meet a renowned fortune teller and he overhears part of her fortune "You are going to marry a powerful bender.", but is dismayed when his fortune contains only a tiny (fake) counterpart love prediction. Meanwhile, Sokka tries to convince the locals that Aunt Wu's predictions are either false or can be explained by science. When Aang comes to him for advice, Sokka misinterprets it to mean he likes a local girl (See Abhorrent Admirer
in tropes section) and tells Aang to be aloof. This doesn't work, so Aang instead tries a rare flower that only grows on an active volcano. When the group discover that the volcano's ready to blow, they have to convince the whole town that Aunt Wu was wrong and band together to avert the catastrophe.
- Abhorrent Admirer: Aunt Wu's assistant for Aang . . . sort of. He lets her down way gently after he figures out what's going on.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: Sokka lives in a world where his sister and best friend control the elements and spirits walk the earth, but he's insistent that fortune telling is impossible.
- Bishie Sparkle: Aang sees Katara in this way with the sun shining down on her.
- This is also done for Meng towards Aang, who kinda ruined the mood by acting aloof.
- Chekhov's Volcano
- Chirping Crickets: Done with a duck.
- Constantly Curious: Katara does this to Aunt Wu over her future, from how long she will live to what she should have for breakfast.
- Exact Words: Aunt Wu predicts that the town won't be destroyed by a volcano this year. After the group discovers that the volcano is about to blow, and they only just barely manage to divert all the lava and smoke, Sokka explains that Aunt Wu was wrong. The townsman they met at the beginning of the episode points out that she was right: She never said the volcano wouldn't erupt, she said, correctly, the town wouldn't be destroyed.
- Love Epiphany: This is the first episode where Aang shows a clear attraction to Katara. Similarly, Katara gets a whiff of one when Sokka says the page quote above after Aang saves the town, which has her recalling her fortune of marrying "a powerful bender".
- Magic Versus Science: Sokka versus the villagers tends to move into this.
Villager: Can your science explains why it rains?
Sokka: YES! Yes it can!
- Meaningful Name: Meng can mean "dream", which is one way of predicting the future.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: Lampshaded. The fortuneteller's town has normal, non-hybrid ducks, and Sokka is shown to be baffled by them, since most of the animals in the Avatar world are of the mix-and-match variety.
- No Antagonist: The only danger comes from the volcano. In many stories like this Aunt Wu would be a malicious conwoman, but there's no indication given that she doesn't believe in her own abilities (although she does admit to reshaping predictions so as to be more palatable for the people who receive them, and she's clearly making stuff up when Katara starts asking her questions about everything)
- Nonchalant Dodge: The scholar being attacked by the platypus-bear at the beginning.
- One Dialogue, Two Conversations: Aang asks Sokka for help with wooing a certain someone, with Sokka being more than supportive of his choice. However, Aang is referring to Katara, but Sokka thinks he's crushing on Meng.
- Screw Destiny: One of the themes of the episode.
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecy: The premise of this episode.
- Ship Tease/Ship Sinking: Katara's prediction disqualifies any non-benders (Jet) for her canon ship while promoting the two main ships (Aang/Zuko), although it mostly promotes Kataang.
- It could also have included Haru, whom the team already met ("Imprisoned") as an impressive self-taught Earth-Bender.
- Stalker with a Crush: Meng towards Aang. She even admits it.
- That Cloud Looks Like: Aunt Wu makes predictions based on cloud shapes.
Aang: That cloud kinda looks like a fluffy bunny!
: You'd better hope that's not a bunny. The Fluffy Bunny cloud forecasts doom and destruction
- Who's on First?: A mild version.
"Aunt who?" "No, Aunt Wu!"