Playing With: The Worf Barrage
Basic Trope: A weapon or attack that is said to be incredibly powerful, but never seriously damages anything stronger than a Mook.
Back to The Worf Barrage
- Straight: The Tropestar 5000 fires its main gun at General Torg's ship, but only deals minimal damage to it.
- Exaggerated: The Tropestar 5000's main gun has never scored a kill, not even against Mooks.
- Downplayed: The Tropestar 5000 fires its main gun at General Torg's ship, resulting in a large explosion and cries of No One Could Survive That, but Torg survives just fine, although a number of his Red Shirts are killed.
- Inverted: The Tropestar's guns never work against small mass-produced fighters, but always One-Hit Kill any ship with a named character on it.
- Subverted: Torg gloats to the Tropestar about how his new ship is invulnerable to their weapons. But The Captain reveals that he's upgraded the Tropestar's weapons, and takes out Torg's ship in a single hit.
- Double Subverted: But Torg's ship reforms from the debris.
- Parodied: The Tropestar's main gun fails to kill a normal, unarmoured person. At point-blank range.
- The only purpose of the Wave Motion Gun is to throw up completely harmless clouds of dust. Everyone is still surprised whenever this happens.
- Zig Zagged: No effect at first, and Torg gloats. Later in the fight his ship suddenly explodes due to delayed effect. However Torg himself survives unharmed...
- Averted: The Tropestar's guns are fairly effective against a wide range of targets.
- Enforced: "There's no drama in destroying the enemy in a single shot. Make his shields stronger or something to prove how powerful the Evil Empire is!"
- Lampshaded: "Let me guess... we didn't even scratch the paint?"
- Invoked: The Tropestar has a big gun that only produces a harmless but showy explosion to serve as a nonlethal deterrent.
- Exploited: Rather than trying to Zerg Rush the Tropestar, the Evil Empire sends only a few well-armoured ships against them, secure in the knowledge that the heroes' weapons are completely ineffective against them.
- Defied: The crew of the Tropestar are constantly buying, discovering or upgrading their weapons to prevent this sort of thing from happening.
- Discussed: "Why would they keep using the main gun again and again if they know it's not going to work? Why not try something different, like a lot of weaker attacks?"
- Conversed: "I'll just go get some popcorn while they fire that stupid crappy gun. It's not like it ever does anything plot-relevant, they just stand around congratulating themselves and then the baddy pops right up again acting smug."
- Deconstructed: The fact that the enemy ship is completely unaffected by their best shot shows how outmatched the heros are, and that all their efforts were for naught.
- Reconstructed: General Torg's ship is insanely tough, but also has minimal firepower as a direct result of this. As such, it's a race to find something that CAN put the ship down, as the heroes had previously been over-reliant on their superweapon.
Back to The Worf Barrage