Playing With: Red Eyes, Take Warning
Basic Trope: A character with red eyes has a high probability of being evil.
Back to Red Eyes, Take Warning
- Straight: Lord Bloodstone has red eyes and is the villain of the story.
- Downplayed: Lord Bloodstone has bloodshot eyes.
- The character with red eyes is a Jerk Ass but not outright evil.
- Lord Bloodstone is an Evil Albino.
- Alternatively, all those who are granted power from a sinister source, such as a demon, have their irises stained red by it.
- Everyone has Elemental Eye Colors, and pretty much everyone who gets firenote is guaranteed to either become corrupt or just be a pyromaniac.
- Lord Bloodstone is so angry that he actually burst a couple of blood vessels!
- A character with red eyes claims/tries to be dangerous, but is just too incompetent to pull it off.
- A character with red eyes is established as dangerous, but turns out to be the hero.
- Double Subverted: But it turns out that the hero is actually The Man Behind the Man.
- A character puts in red contact lenses. They immediately go on a killing spree.
- Lord Bloodstone routinely douses himself with pepper spray to ensure that his eyes stay red when he does something evil.
- Lord Bloodstone wakes up with a hangover one morning. He staggers to the fridge, gets a glass of lemonade, and blows up his neighbor's house. He laughs evilly while sipping the lemonade, his eyes glowing.
- Zig Zagged: Lord Bloodstone is initially established as a pyromaniac Blood Knight, but he also has Hidden Depths, being a Good Samaritan who would give you the shirt off his back. Just don't get on his bad side.
- No-one has red eyes.
- A character has red eyes, but they do not really signify a certain trait.
- Enforced: "Let's give the Big Bad red eyes so he can be identified as the villain."
- Lampshaded: "So you're behind this all? I should have known since the moment I looked in your evil red eyes."
- Invoked: Albinism is fairly common in the setting. The Big Bad spreads a rumor that any child with the trait is destined to become evil; that way, he ensures that he will always have a supply of hated and feared minions with nowhere else to go.
- Exploited: Prince Strongheart needs to pass for evil, so he gets himself a pair of red contact lenses.
- Defied: "My eyes may be red, but my heart is pure!"
- Discussed: "So, are red eyes a requisite for villainy?"
- "Why do such a high proportion of evil-doers have red eyes?"
- "He must be the bad guy. Just look at those eyes."
- Deconstructed: Lord Bloodstone was hated and feared ever since he was a child because of his sinister-looking eyes. The abuse he suffered twisted him into the villain that he is today.
- Reconstructed: Lord Bloodstone was hated and feared ever since he was a child because the power of the Demon King that dwells within him, and people felt inherently afraid of him. As he grew more twisted and bitter, his eyes became redder, a sign of the Demon King gaining control. The hero has the same power, but maintains his heroic nature, and so his eyes are an untainted blue.
Back to Red Eyes, Take Warning