- Straight: Katie is constantly calling Bob lazy and fat, but when Gary calls Bob fat? Katie springs up, saying, "Hey! Only I can call Bob that!"
- Katie never says a single good thing about Bob. Ever. But when someone remarks, fairly neutrally, "You're awfully tall..." Katie springs up, saying, "Nobody is allowed to talk about my Bobby-wobbykins that way but me!" And then gives said person a Megaton Punch.
- All of Bob's so called friends do nothing but heap insults on him, but will ruthlessly attack anyone else says anything slightly rude.
- Katie doesn't even let Bob says nasty things about himself.
- Downplayed: Katie sometimes complains about Bob's weight, but gets angry when Gary insults him about it.
- Katie knows Bob well, and knows he'd rather hear the tough truth than a white lie. But while Katie does it out of genuine concern, Gary is just trying to be insulting.
- Katie knew Bob never took offense on her insults. After all, Bob had no qualms in dishing out barbs of his own.
- Katie is just moral myopic.
- Everyone else insults Bob mercilessly, but when Katie offhandedly mentions that Bob's getting a little chubby, a random stranger stops to defend him.
- Katie compliments Bob, but when Gary compliments him, Katie punches Gary square in the face.
- Katie is always polite to Bob, but is glad when other people insult him and might even encourage them when he isn't around.
- Subverted: Gary insults Bob. Katie goes, "HEY!... Gary, buddy! I haven't seen you in ages!"
- Double Subverted:
- She then punches him. "And that's for saying nasty things about Bob!"
- Alice let Gary insult Bob because Gary is part of the group, anyone outsider will endure her wrath.
- Parodied: Gary calls Bob a "Fat, lazy slacker!" Katie's response: "HEY! ...Bob's not a slacker!"
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: Gary insults Bob, but Katie doesn't say anything.
- Enforced: "We need to show the audience that Katie cares about Bob, possibly in that way. Having her get angry when someone else taunts Bob is the perfect way to show that."
- Lampshaded: Gary says, "Oh—I point out how you've put on maybe five pounds, and I'm Satan himself, but she calls you an obese warthog and it's all good? What's up with that?"
- Invoked: ???
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: Katie refuses to defend Bob, because she knows Gary's criticisms are true and she thinks Bob needs to hear it from someone who doesn't always harp on him so he gets the point.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: "It's kinda funny how Gary calling me "chubby" bothers me, but you calling me an "obsese warthog" never does."
- Deconstructed: When Katie is defending him, Bob realizes her hypocrisy—she insults him all the time! Why should she get away with it? Realizing that he's fed up with her treatment of him, he:
a) Stops hanging out with her.
b) Sees right through Katie, and, although he has flaws as she points out, that doesn't outweigh Katie's flaw - hypocrisy. Knowing they enjoyed insulting him together, Bob begins to snap and gives both Katie and Gary a brutal, well-deserved beatdown of a lifetime. Unfortunately, Bob becomes worse than Katie and Gary ever was.
c) Give his "friend" some criticism, or very harsh criticism; surprised at this, Katie breaks down into tears, leaving Bob remorseful for his actions.
- ...But then he realizes that no one else is ever honest with him about his flaws, leading to his interactions with other people becoming awkward. He and Katie reconcile, and she agrees to tone it down (while still being just blunt enough).
- After the beatdown, Bob is taken to prison, and while Katie and Gary rejoice, only for Katie to beat up Gary because she should be the one to rejoice in Bob's sentence.
- Bob comes to apologize to Katie, but Katie said that Bob was right and both are Not So Different after all. They became friends again and start to help each other with their flaws from that point on.
- ...Katie, during her breakdown, blames Gary for destroying her friendship with Bob, even though she was the one who killed it by her hypocrisy.
Hey! I'm the only one who can tell Tropsy to go back to Hypocritical Heartwarming!