Playing With: Hell of a Heaven
: Heaven isn't exactly the happy place it's been made out to be, for a specific kind of person.
- Straight: Seamus O'Taku dies and goes to Heaven. When he gets there, he finds that although anime and manga are available, the trope Crack Is Cheaper is very much in play.
- Exaggerated: He finds that nothing that caters to his interests is available in Heaven (not even so much as another Geek to reminisce with), and he's bored and miserable while everyone else is having a great time.
- Downplayed: He finds out that Heaven is a Mundane Afterlife, and is a little bored with only doing the same things he did in life.
- In this story, everyone goes to the same afterlife, but there's an element of punishment for misdeeds committed on Earth.
- Seamus is in Purgatory, and part of his purification entails going without anime/manga/etc. or other Geeks to interact with.
- In this story, Heaven is more of a state of being than a place full of Crystal Spires and Togas.
- Seamus is searching the cloud banks for anything relating to the geeky interests he had in life, and he finds a manga tree.
- Alternatively, Seamus finds himself at an eternal anime convention, with no long lines, high prices, con funk, Fan Dumb, or anything like that.
- Double Subverted:
- But upon closer inspection, the Manga hanging from the branches is all Yaoi, something he was never interested in.
- But he eventually grows bored with it.
- Parodied: Any number of Literal Genie scenarios.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Enforced: Rule of Funny.
- Lampshaded: ???
- Invoked: Seamus dies, with no interests outside of his anime and manga, or friends who didn't share those interests
- Exploited: This Isn't Heaven.
- Heaven does its best to accomodate its eternal guests and their varying definitions of pleasure, joy, and happiness.
- Heaven can't admit him for whatever reason(s)
- Discussed: "You think they have anime conventions in Heaven?"
- Conversed: "Not everyone likes going to those things Seamus. Especially not for all eternity."
- Reconstructed: Seamus learns to make do with what's there and/or petition God for something that would make the afterlife more enjoyable (or put it together himself). He has to become more well-rounded if he wasn't already.
- Played For Drama: Lots of Angst on the part of Seamus and/or an Earn Your Happy Ending scenario.
Back to Hell of a Heaven