Playing With: Does Not Like Men
: A (usually female
) character has a negative attitude about the male gender.
- Straight: Alice has a tough time befriending men and letting them get close to her. She may also view them as The Unfair Sex to some extent.
- Alice outright hates men, and believes the world would be better off without them. She may even move into (or start) a Lady Land with like-minded women to facilitate this, or conspire into an outright Gendercide.
- Alice freaks out and shoots Bob when all he said to her is, "Hi."
- Alice avoids interacting with men, but she doesn't actively hate them either.
- Alice thinks men are okay, but inferior towards women.
- Alice was raped or abused (maybe by a stranger, maybe by a relative, maybe by a boyfriend), and this is her way of preventing that from happening again.
- Alice is a Straw Feminist.
- Alice comes from a No Woman's Land where men have comitted terrible deeds against their female peers.
- Gender-Inverted: Bob is a He-Man Woman Hater.
- We hear Alice hates men, but that was just slander...
- Or, we hear she hates men, but she's shown to be just as bitter to her fellow women. She's actually just an all-round Jerkass...
- Double Subverted:
- Which turns out to be true...
- But then she comes out with the fact that she hates men especially...
- Parodied: Alice hates men with a burning passion... The problem is that "she" is a man himself! (Not that you'd inmediately know it, mind you)
- Zig Zagged:
- Alice's attitude towards men varies between hating them, a mild dislike, and really liking them.
- Alice dislikes some men, but not others.
- Averted: Alice gets along alright with the male characters.
- Lampshaded: "Why did you trip Bob this morning?" "Because he's a man."
- Invoked: Bob does things (deliberately or unintentionally) to offend or upset or annoy Alice.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: "Yes, I know that bashing men for being men makes a woman look cool, strong and independent but that's not the kind of "coolness" or "strength" or "independence" I'm looking for, thank you."
- Discussed: "It's not that I hate men. It's just that I haven't met any decent one yet."
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: After rejecting each and every man who had an interest in her and carefully avoiding to interact with peope born with a Y-chromosome, Alice ends up an old spinster, surrounded by cats and unable to have a normal interaction with anyone.
- Reconstructed: Alice learns that not all men suck, and gets to know at least one that she can have a positive relationship with.
- Played For Laughs:
Back to Does Not Like Men