Music / Senses Fail
Senses Fail are a Post-Hardcore
band from New Jersey formed in 2002. Their constant member and main songwriter is James "Buddy" Nielsen.
The band is known for their reflective, often personal lyrics, and their style of music fluctuating from mellow Emo Music
to punctual violent Screamo
, their music getting progressively heavier with each album.
Their latest album, ''Pull The Thorns From Your Heart" was released in 2015.
Tropes applying to Senses Fail:
- Breakup Song: "Calling All Cars"
- Concept Album: Pull The Thorns From Your Heart is a concept album drawing on Buddhist philosophy and Buddy's personal introspections on the meaning of life and love.
- "Still Searching" dealt with a young man having a Crisis of Faith, stress, anxiety, alcoholism, depression, and finally taking his own life.
- Careful with That Axe: "The Irony Of Dying on Your Birthday"
- Cover Version: The band covered "Institutionalized" by Suicidal Tendencies for ''Tony Hawk's American Wasteland".
- Crisis of Faith: "The Rapture"
- Downer Ending: The protagonist of "Still Searching" commits suicide in "All The Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues", and refuses spiritual help while dying and finally dies in "The Priest and The Matador".
- Distressed Dude: Buddy Nielsen is bound and gagged in the video to "Calling All Cars"
- Driven to Suicide: The ending of "Still Searching".
- Early Installment Weirdness: The band's first EP, "From The Depths Of Dreams" is far more like typical Emo lyrically than the band's later, Thursday-like literary and philosophical lyrics.
- Freudian Excuse: "All The Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues" has the protagonist of the album taking his own life after reflecting on his parental issues among other thing.
- "Family Tradition" is Buddy's anger at his father manifested in a song.
- Grief Song: "Death Bed" and "In Your Absence" from the band's acoustic EP, the latter song dealing with Buddy's wife's Multiple Sclerosis and miscarriage.
- Interspecies Romance: The video for Mi Amor has one between an attractive redhead and....a stuffed panda.
- Keet: Buddy Nielsen onstage is goofy, energetic and carefree.
- Mohs Scaleof Rock And Metal Hardness: Their early stuff is a 2-6, their latest two albums are 8-9.
- Murder-Suicide: The ending of "Choke On This" could be interpreted this way.
- New Sound Album: "Pull The Thorns From Your Heart" and "Renacer" mixes the band's Post-Hardcore earlier sound with a heavy Metalcore influence.
- "Still Searching" featured far less screaming than their first record, and more progressive, experimental arrangements.
- Revolving Door Band: Buddy Nielsen is the only consistent band member.
- Siamese Twin Songs: "All The Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues" transitions into the sad guitar and percussion instrumental "Negative Space", into "The Priest And The Matador".
- Stalker with a Crush: The subject of "You're Cute When You Scream".
- Vocal Tag Team: When the band's first guitarist Heath Saraceno was in the band, this was a frequent occurances specially live, with the vocal layering using Heath Saraceno to harmonize live. Their current bassist fulfills this role in his absense.