Scar Symmetry is a heavy metal band from Sweden, formed in 2004. Their music is primarily a Melodic Death Metal
/ Power Metal
fusion, though also has elements of Progressive Metal
- Symmetric In Design (2005)
- Pitch Black Progress (2006)
- Holographic Universe (2008)
- Dark Matter Dimensions (2009)
- The Unseen Empire (2011)
- The Singularity (Phase I: Neohumanity) (2014) (upcoming album)
Current Band Members:
- Roberth Karlsson - lead growled vocals, backing clean vocals
- Lars Palmqvist - lead clean vocals, backing growled vocals
- Per Nilsson - guitar
- Kenneth Seil - bass
- Henrik Ohlsson - drums, lyrics
Former Band Members:
- Christian Älvestam - vocals
- Jonas Kjellgren - guitar
Scar Symmetry shows examples of:
- Concept Album: Holographic Universe is based on interpretations of Michael Talbot's book The Holographic Universe, and explores intersections between Eastern mysticism and quantum mechanics. Dark Matter Dimensions is this, too, regarding Exactly What It Says on the Tin.
- In early 2014 they announced they were working on a trilogy of concept albums, called "The Singularity."
- Creative Differences: The gist of why Christian Alvestam was fired. According to Nilsson, he did not leave on good terms and still has a fair bit of mutual bad blood.
- Epic Rocking: The title track from "Holographic Universe".
- I Am the Band: Per Nilsson.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Around an 8. They sometimes go down to a 7, but no lower than that. The title track on Pitch Black Progress is around a 9.
- Progressive Metal
- Soprano and Gravel: Nearly all Scar Symmetry songs feature a striking contrast between gutteral growled vocals and clean vocals
- Technobabble: "I am wave, and lepton, the eerie paradox!" — Quantumleaper
- Melodic Death Metal: Well, duh, listen to the growls.
- Power Metal
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Christian Alvestam has gained considerable attention from metalheads due to his exceptional vocal range, which ranges from a soaring-high operatic voice to deep, monstrous growling akin to Chris Barnes. He also does spoken word passages in many songs, the occasional Yarling, and makes use of a few other vocal techniques. Some fans even find his normal speaking voice as awesome to listen to as his singing.
- No Hit Wonder: Despite never charting a single song, they have a very loyal fan base an are a significant act in underground heavy metal music.
- Bald of Awesome: Christian.
- Badass Beard: Boy, can Christian rock a good goatee.
- Vocal Tag Team: Since the departure of Älvestam, the harsh and clean vocals have been handled by two singers.
- New Sound Album: When Christian was with the band, all 3 albums with him sounded different. Symmetric In Design was much rawer and less power metal influenced than most of the band's work, and Christian used a much more diverse growl range. Pitch Black Progress had more polished production and more complex songs, as well as a bit more power metal. Holographic Universe was much more melodic, had less growls, high-quality production, and Christian had pulled his clean vocal range up an octave. The next two albums had a much more traditional approach to melodic death metal.