Manga: Yama No Susume
Aoi prefers indoor hobbies and thanks to an injury is agoraphobic, but her childhood friend Hinata loves to show off her passion for mountain climbing. As young children they once watched the sunrise from the top of a mountain, and made a promise to do it again. During their journey, they'll have learn to cook, become familiar with the various tools of a mountaineer, climb the local hills, and meet new mountaineering friends as they learn the ropes of their hobby. When will they finally see that sunrise again?Encouragement of Climb (ヤマノススメ Yama no Susume?, lit. "Recommendation of Mountaineering") is a slice-of-life manga series written and illustrated by Shiro, which began serialization in Earth Star Entertainment's Comic Earth Star magazine in 2011. An anime television series by 8-Bit aired in Japan as as a part of the Winter 2013 Anime season. A second season began airing in as a part of the Summer 2014 Anime season. Only season two, however, is currently on crunchyroll's website and app.
Tropes appearing in this series:
- Bait and Switch: Episode 15 of season 2. The show heavily hints Kaede's old friend Yuuka died. Complete with showing her face in the clouds, and melancholy music...only to be revealed perfectly alive and fine at the end.
- Book Ends: Episode 5 of season 2, begins with Hinata tripping and pulling down Aoi's skirt down and in the end the roles are reversed.
- Aoi climbs the same mountain she and Hinata first climbed together in episode 12 of season 2, breaking her out of her melancholy from failing to climb Mt.Fuji.
- Childhood Friends: Aoi and Hinata went to elementary school together.
- Downer Ending: The Mt. Fuji arc. Aoi wasn't able to reach the summit of Mt. Fuji due to altitude sickness, and she's even more depressed because Kaede stayed with her rather than climbing the rest of the way. She gets over it eventually, but it sets a surprisingly somber mood for a few episodes.
- Forgotten First Meeting: Aoi and Hinata once met Kokona as she once saved them when they were lost.
- Genki Girl: Hinata
- Girlish Pigtails: Hinata's default hairstyle and it emphasize her tomboyish personality.
- Godiva Hair: Kaede, in the special episode.
- Goofy Print Underwear: Aoi wears polka dots and Hinata wears Bears.
- Heroic BSOD: Aoi has one after failing to climb to the summit of Mt. Fuji due to altitude sickness. It lasts several episodes, during which the normally-cheerful series becomes quite sad.
- Last Episode New Character: Honoka, the shy photo-taking girl.
- Meganekko: Kaede, though she isn't clumsy or shy.
- Shout-Out: Ryuko from Kill la Kill can be seen at 1:44 in episode 12 of season two in a classroom.
- Smarter Than You Look: Hinata is rather impulsive and ditzy. She also happens to be an ace student, even getting a job as a math tutor.
- Why Did It Have To Be Heights: Aoi is scared of heights, thanks to an injury she suffered when she was younger.
- Hinata is shown to have a fear of fireflies after Kokona was dressed as one when she was younger and confused her for a monster.