Sky High is a fairly obscure seinen manga by Takahashi Tsutomu. It went on to inspire a live-action Japanese series and a film.Izuko is the gatekeeper between Heaven and Earth. She gives the deceased three choices— they can await reincarnation in heaven, defy death and remain Walking the Earth as a ghost forever, or to get revenge on a human and kill them, and burn in agony eternally in hell. They have 12 days to choose their fate, and can learn things about their lives and the people they once loved's current lives.The manga tells the story of each victim and what path they take.
Tropes used by the manga:
- Driven to Suicide: Kino-shita, assisted suicide. Normally suicide gets you sent to hell immediately - Izuko says it's murdering yourself - so she researched this technicality and convinced her friend to do it.
- Emotionless Girl: Izuko
- Ghostly Goals: A major drive in the individual plots
- Gold Digger: A hideous man kills his girlfriend because he thinks she was after only his money.
- Goodbye, Cruel World!: Kino-shita sends a note to each one of the Alpha Bitch snobs who bully her telling them that one of them is next, because she will come back to kill.
- Heroic Spirit: Mai.
- Infant Immortality: The pregnant's woman son does not go down to hell with her. She puts her son's spirit into the body of her murderer's newborn son, replacing her murderer's child.
- Actually, it's ambiguous where Noriko goes at the end. The last page leaves us with Izuko looking at the sky. That's the ending we get when someone goes to heaven.
- Invisible to Normals: Ghosts.
- It Can't Be Helped: After the schoolgirl Kino-shita kills herself because she knows she'll be able to kill the Libby at her school, she realizes that her friend she left behind is overjoyed in her death and then wishes she hadn't decided to drown herself. Izuko simply tells her that's it's too late and it can't be helped, so she might as well just go to heaven without going through with the killing.
- Loser Protagonist: The man that saves a woman from an assault.
- Meganekko: Kino-shita
- See You in Hell: The murdered gold digger's body is left under the hotel room's bed, and when a couple have sex on top of the bed she kills them and is damned for killing someone other than her murderer. Izuko tells her that she'll be eternally lonely there, like Izuko is, and the woman grins and tells her, "See you there."
- Self-Inflicted Hell: The third option.
- Spirit World: Where the dead meet Izuko
- Unfinished Business: Revenge fuels a lot of the decisions.
- Walking the Earth: One of the options
- Who Dunnit To Me: The pregnant woman was murdered.
- Woman Scorned: The pregnant woman.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Katou Iwaru.