"Punished is not the man himself, but the evil that resides in him"Samurai Executioner
is a spin-off manga series from Lone Wolf and Cub
. It focuses on the encounters and experiences of one of Itto's opponents (Yamada Asaemon), the Shogun's sword-tester and executioner.
Samurai Executioner provides examples of:
- Actually Pretty Funny: When Kasajiro pretended to have died from a wound sustained during an investigation to pull his wife's leg, even Asaemon found it funny.
- Crapsack World: To the underclasses of Edo Japan, life sucks.
- End Of An Era: Samurai takes place at the end of the Edo era, with the rise of the merchant class and the downfall of the samurai.
- Face Death with Dignity: Quite a number of the condemned do this. Some require help from Asaemon (usually by way of the Last Request).
- Footnote Fever: Due to the Shown Their Work below, the translators at Dark Horse Comics had to do this.
- Good Is Not Soft: Asaemon. He will tear you a new one if you deserve it. At the same time, he is totally capable of making the condemned feel comfortable before he chops off their heads.
- Go Out with a Smile: Many of the condemned, if Asaemon fulfiled their Last Request or otherwise made them feel comfortable before he brings down the sword.
- Heel Realization: To Asaemon, it is most important that the condemned be truly repentant of their crimes before he executes them.
- Japanese Honorifics: Justified, given the setting.
- Last Request: Asaemon encounters many such requests. Whether he grants them depends on circumstances.
- One-Man Army: Asaemon during the prison riot chapter.
- Ronin: Asaemon himself.
- Shown Their Work: The series might as well be called "Life for Commoners during Edo Japan: The Series".
- Zen Survivor: Asaemon again.