Manga: Raspberry Field no Majo
Alice Rose has adapted pretty easily into her new life at the Rainfield All-Female Boarding School. Only one problem remains: Her unsatisfiable hunger, the only thing that would not bend or disappear under the schools strict rules. So she goes on nightly raids in the food storage, only to find it locked. She however does open a door that wasn't there before and stumbles into the cell of a nameless demon, who in his starvation, begs for a secret or two. She doesn't have any though, but vows to help feed him. Thus she enters a contract with the demon who temporarily refers to himself as Lord and becomes a witch. Or tries to, as her rather limited understanding of the world
and her situation
elicit more hijinks than secrets from her friend and school mates.
This manga contains following tropes:
- Big Eater: Alice herself, thanks to her nightly kitchen raids the plot gets started.
- Blessed with Suck: Technically. Alice can have her wishes granted, but she has no secrets of her own, she has to get secrets of others. And they are usually so petty they barely power any great wishes.
- Boarding School: Rainfield.
- Child Mage: Alice, a teenage witch.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Patty.
- Cute Witch: Alice.
- Deal with the Devil: It kinda happened unintentionally.
- Demon Lords and Archdevils
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: The nameless demon is called Lord by Alice, and since he is her master, it fits.
- Generic Cuteness: Every single girl (plus Lord) in the manga is drawn incredibly beautiful and cute.
- Genki Girl: Alice.
- Identity Amnesia: Lord has no idea who he is.
- Idiot Hero: Alice is not the brightest.
- Instant Seiza: People sit quite a bit around like this, even though the manga is not set in Japan. Though nobody crashes into nobody here, they just cut to sitting in the seiza position.
- Laserguided Amnesia: Those whose secrets Alice steals forget about them, so Alice often can't bear making them forget precious memories.
- Magic A Is Magic A: Devils grant people wishes in return for secrets, where the magnitude of the secret is proportional to the magnitude of the wish. Devils give people supplementary powers to witches which allow them to take secrets.
- Make a Wish: In return for secrets, Lord grants Alice wishes
- Meganekko: Wendy, the fortune teller.
- No Name Given: The devil doesn't even remember his own name, so he calls himself Lord.
- One-Gender School
- Our Demons Are Different: They thrive on secrets.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Alice released Lords seal.
- Secret Keeper: For the deal with the devil to be fulfilled, one has to share a secret with him.
- The Door Slams You: Once Lord snuggled up neatly behind his door. Bad idea.
- The Ingenue: Alice.
- The Shadow Knows: Lord's shadow revealed him to be a devil before he said it straight forward.
- Title Drop: The incident where Alice stole from the headmaster's raspberry field has been referred to once or twice, and since Alice is a witch now, it makes sense. A side story tells us about a demon that used to seduce every girl in the area until a witch with a raspberry vine chased him away. Ever since she has been waiting in the raspberry fields for him to return.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Lord.