In a World
where humans are not the only beings, there exists a race known as demihumans. At the height of the golden age of genetic engineering, that race was created by humans to serve them.
As time passed, the demihumans began questioning why they served their creators. At the end of the last century, a war broke out between the East and the South, so demihumans escaped their slavery and equality was established. However, the gap between the races has not been bridged. Demihumans still struggle with discrimination, live in the slums and face the fear of being sold to slavery every day.
Canon Passacagilia, a child of a human and a demihuman, is an officer of the East Side's Police Bureau's Special Second Division who are in charge of dealing with crimes related to demihumans. She patrols the city's streets helping humans and demihumans alike. Along with Johan Bachenbell, a man raised in an orphanage for both humans and demihumans, her goal is to help the races live alongside one another in peace.Megalomania
is a shounen
manga written and drawn by Daisuke Hiyama. It began publication in Square Enix
's Gangan Comics magazine in 2007. The story mixes Sci-Fi
and comedy elements in an Urban Fantasy
This manga provides examples of:
- Atop a Mountain of Corpses / Field of Blades: One of the chief's flashbacks involving Kamaitachi combines these.
- Ax-Crazy: George Antheil. While Kamaitachi have a natural urge to cutting things, he's so off the rails he keeps looking for a woman he can keep cutting without her dying. He becomes obssessed with Canon because of that.
- Badass Normal: Bachenbell, A trained cop who is not afraid to fight dirty or go against several armed opponents alone.
- Badass Adorable: Canon, almost looks too cute to be a cop until she puts on her Game Face.
- Crystal Dragon Jesus: The Haptemis faith.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Rebecca, while not the only female, is the only member of the second department seen wearing a ridiculously short skirt.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Canon. Being a half-breed caused her to be shunned by humans and demihumans alike.
- Destructive Saviour: Canon is one but this results in most humans either fearing or shunning her.
- Fantastic Ghetto: The demihuman slums.
- Fantastic Racism: A big part of the story and set-up is that demihumans are discriminated against by humans.
- Faceless Goons: Subverted by the Special first branch which seem to be good guys at first but have no issues killing criminal demihumans, just because they are not human.
- Game Face: Canon has a pretty mean one when she transforms.
- Half-Breed Discrimination: Canon struggles with this, as both races tend to look down on her for her mixed lineage. This is also one of the reasons she tries to mend the divide between the races.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Canon is the child of a human and a demihuman, giving her a demihuman appearance and super powers when she wants to fight for real.
- Humanoid Abomination: Some of the scarier looking demi-humans are this.
- Mysterious Past: Johan has one related to his history with the first division.
- Petting Zoo People: Most Demihumans are this.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: Canon is barely as tall as Johan's shoulder, but she had no trouble beating a gargantuan demihuman giant who was incredibly violent due to experiencing withdrawal. Her demihuman powers helped.
- Senpai Kouhai: Canon calls Johan her senpai, as he used to serve in the First Division and is far more experienced than her.
- Servant Race: The demihumans were created to be this but were treated more like slaves.
- Youkai: The demihumans are basically separated into breeds that are youkai.
- Merry is an Izuna, a breed likely based on Kitsune.
- Earl Little's female cohort is a nekomata who turns into a black cat.
- George Antheil is part of the Kamaitaichi.