Legends of the Dark King: A Fist of the North Star Side Story
(translated as Ten no Haō Hokuto no Ken Raō Gaiden - The Conqueror of the Heavens: Fist of the North Star Raoh Side-Story
) is a manga series written by Youkow Osada. A spinoff of Fist of the North Star
, it chronicles Raoh's rise to power as Ken-Oh, the King of Fists before and during the events of the original storyline. It also incorporates elements from the Legends of the True Savior movies, including the addition of Souga and Reina, Raoh's childhood friends and lieutenants in his army. The manga has also been made into a 13-episode anime series.
Both the anime and manga has examples of:
- Actor Allusion: Seven of the voice actors (for the English dub) had gotten themselves caught in a zombie apocalypse.
- An Arm and a Leg: Souga loses his leg whilst escaping Cassandra.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Raoh, hands down. Kokougoh also qualifies.
- Badass Raoh. Good Lord, Raoh. Kokougoh is no push-over, either.
- Hell, it's a requirement if you're working for Raoh or Thouzer.
- Badass Pacifist: Toki.
- Berserk Button: Toki may be dying from radiation sickness, but can still fuck your shit up it you harm innocent people.
- Cool Helmet: Raoh. Uligur's modeled his own helmet after Raoh's own.
- Cool Horse: Kokougoh, of course.
- Crapsack World: What did you expect? It is Fist of the North Star, after all.
- Dead Guy on Display: The skulls of Igor the Lion King and Rize the Thunder Emperor are made into wine glasses for Raoh's victory party.
- Death Glare: Raoh. So much so that even Tywin Lannister would run away in terror.
- Distracted by the Sexy: How Sayuka does Gaoh the North King in.
- Dramatic Deadpan: Now you see where Kenshiro gets it from.
- Dual Wielding:
- Reina and her twin blades, hence her nickname, Reina of the Twin Blades.
- Uigur and his dual bullwhips.
- Dungeon Bypass: How does Raoh and his two subordinates get inside Cassandra without triggering the death traps? Raoh simply punched a hole in the wall.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Raoh to his brother, Toki.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Raoh, in both his English and Japanese voices. Especially the English dub, as his voice was done by Andrew Love.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Raoh punches the leader of the biker gang – and the building behind him – in half.
- Hey, It's That Voice!:
- I Fight for the Strongest Side: Yuda, as his loyalties go from Raoh to Thouzer on a whim.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: Those smart enough to surrender to Raoh's forces without a fight.
- Large and in Charge: Some of the warlords tower over the nearly 7-foot Raoh. But just like his kid brother, size means squat.
- Made of Iron: So much so that Raoh took a mule-kick from a stallion the size of an elephant.
- Honorable mention goes to Uligur. Not as impressive as Devil's Rebirth, but the fact that he survived 5 executions under Gion's watch is impressive.
- Mercy Kill: Raoh deals one out to a mortally wounded foal which Kokougoh was protecting.
- Mission From The Heavens
- Motorcycle Fu: Raoh wastes a shitload of mooks with a motorcycle.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Ken-oh, Reina of the Twin Blades, Thouzer the Holy Emperor.
- Oh Crap: Several.
- The Demon King Goran when he finds out he is fighting a practitioner of Hokuto Shinken.
- Gion himself when he finds out that Raoh and Kokougoh are on their way to his fortress.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: In the first episode, the Jirai Gang fly the dress which belonged to a young girl. They don't last long following their encounter with Raoh.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: A requirement for anyone who practices Hokuto Shinken.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Club gets the hell out of Dodge before Ryuga shows him his spine.
- Stomp on Them While They Are Down: Kokougoh's primary form of attack. Granted that he is the size of a freakin' elephant.
- You Kill It, You Bought It: Nice castle, Demon King. I think I'll take it.
- You Will Be Spared: Raoh not only spares Gion (as it was through his attempts to kill him that he was able to meet and recruit Kokougoh), but makes him a general in his army.