You've seen it.Possibly even in real life
. There's a man, or a (generally attractive
) woman, standing in front of a Green Screen
, telling you what the weather will be like just before the News Broadcast
ends. Characters will check this if they're going camping, fishing, or what have you.
If the weather is incorrect, it is generally played for laughs, either with a Disproportionate Retribution
episode, or with the characters insisting to go fishing when it's pouring buckets anyway. You may even get someone
insisting that it is such a beautiful day.
If the weather is correct, chances are that the weather is horrible (occasionally cue "Oh, like he's ever right
.") or that this signals the end of the episode/movie/book. Blue skies, lovely weather predicted and it's correct? Time for your happy ending
Not to be confused with
the jazz fusion band of the same name.
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- In Gintama, a five-episode arc starts when Ketsuno Ana's impeccable weather predictions start being consistently dead-wrong.
- The manga Otenki Onee-san was about Keiko Nakadai, an ambitious femme fatale who gets a job standing in for the normal weather girl Michiko Kawai, and proceeds to raise eyebrows (and her station's ratings) by flashing and flirting with the audience. Hilarity Ensues as Michiko starts a prank war with Keiko in order to get her job back.
Live Action Television
- One Kenny Everett sketch had Kenny as an irate TV viewer who attacked a weatherman for forecasting bad weather.
- Parodied in Whose Line Is It Anyway?, where the man in front of the green screen (usually Colin) has no idea what's being shown behind him and have to guess based on other people's reactions.
- Also a part of the Weird Newsanchor game, where one of the performers (usually Ryan) have to present the weather in an unusual style. An unusual one can be seen here
- Drake & Josh has the eponymous pair's dad as a weatherman. He's highly inaccurate (but aren't the studios supposed to find out the weather correctly?), such as the episode where he predicted nothing but clear skies, only for a massive storm to develop a short time later.
- The Fairly OddParents has an episode in which all the weather forecasters predict the weather incorrectly, and are run out of town. Then Timmy's mom becomes the weather forecaster, so Timmy wishes that no matter what she predicts, it will come true. Hilarity Ensues.
- King of the Hill had Nancy who was blatantly only hired because she was gorgeous. The closest thing they actually had as far as equipment to predict the weather was one fax machine. Eventually they replace her with an actual weather expert because "It turns out people actually want to know the weather."