Too Sexy for This Timeslot
gets a bad reaction from certain members of the audience (often Moral Guardians
), mainly because children can see it
. Shock and horror!
This reaction is generally the reason for Watershed
and Safe Harbor
- Blue Gender was originally meant to be played on Toonami (back when it was a daytime pre-teen/teen block), but was moved to Adult Swim because, even after the heavy censorship, Toonami found a handful of episodes too risque. This left Adult Swim viewers with a hackjob that seemed like it belonged on some sort of middle-ground block (even 'what the hell' was edited out).
- Dancing On Ice. Holly Willoughby (a former underwear model and children's TV presenter) is co-presenter here and got some complaints after turning up for a number of shows in very low-cut outfits. In response to complaints, a later dress was apparently more demure, until she turned around.
- Cavegirl got some complaints for having the main character in a milder form of the "fur bikini"- in a CBBC show.
- Moral Guardian Jack Thompson got notoriously annoyed at the fact that a game pitched for a T-rating, Bully, could have the option of making the protagonist bisexual. As in, he can smooch boys the same as he smooches girls, which is comparatively tame. He attempted to claim that this constituted hardcore gay porn- in a children's game! Gasp! Never mind that most teenagers already know that yes, real life gay people exist, and it's mostly done for the benefit of the Yaoi Fangirls playing it.note
- Complaints are starting to be levelled at Strictly Come Dancing for female dance outfits that are little more than bikinis with frills.
- The low-cut dress that Katy Perry wore in her appearance on Sesame Street caused enough outcry that her segment was pulled from airing on television, instead having to settle for becoming an internet phenomenon.
- Although Doctor Who has a long tradition of casting gorgeous female companions as "something for the dads", Karen Gillan as Amy Pond attracted some short-lived opprobrium for being too sexy. It all seemed to start with the miniskirted Police costume (literally a costume - in-universe, she's a kissogram) she wore in her first appearance. How has the production team addressed this issue? They put her back in the same costume for the Christmas Special. Possibly in the spirit of equal opportunity, they also put Arthur Darvill back in his Roman Soldier get-up. Why? Um, they were in the honeymoon suite...
- Amy's legs are practically a character in their own right. Quite deservedly.
- Then they did the Comic Relief special, Space/Time, which is about 14 minutes of just Getting Crap Past the Radar, with a good five minutes of the characters discussing Amy's skirt, with Amy flirting with her future self to boot.
- This probably explains why a show that airs at 6 pm on BBC One is instead scheduled to 9 pm in America.
- The English dub of the fifteenth episode of Digimon Frontier removed a scene showing Zoe in a red bikini. However, it's mostly for the word "sexy" being in the scene in Gratuitous English; we see all the other swimsuits she tried on, and even the scene where she is nearly walked in on while undressing (we see it from the inside; she stops when she hears a noise just before her shirt was about to show some Underboob. This episode arguably had the highest "how did that get left in?" quotient of the franchise. (In fact, most serious contenders for that award are in that season.)
- Sherlock. The BBC received one hundred complaints for the episode "A Scandal in Belgravia", for showing a nude Irene Adler (Lara Pulver), censored only by the scenery and her own limbs/position. Much of the uproar was because the show was aired before the watershed, but it turned out the nude scenes were in fact shown after nine o'clock. It didn't very much to alleviate the ire of the Moral Guardians
- Tinsel. The audience weren't too happy about all the romantic scenes between Angela Dede and her boytoy Emil.
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit had an In-Universe example where Moral Guardians were trying to get a show about a 16 year old female cop that dressed provocatively to a later timeslot.
- The anime for Recently, my sister is unusual. went through this, originally airing at 10:30 p.m. (which, unlike in other countries where this is past the watershed, is an hour many junior high and high school kids just getting out of cram school in Japan watch TV during). A media watchdog group took attention to a few risque scenes (particularly one where Hiyori tries to masturbate in Mitsuki's body) and made a public complaint, and the show was moved to 2:00 a.m. shortly after.
- British children's comedy My Parents Are Aliens caused a stir with an episode called Beauty and the Breast. In which Sophie, an alien posing on Earth as mother and housewife, frets that her human female body isn't exactly right and performs a shape alteration on herself and... you get the picture.
- The ending sequence to the Pri Para anime was complained about by Japanese parents; particularly due to a female character in a Marilyn Monroe homage being deemed too sexy for a Friday morning kids' cartoon. The original and the new version can be seen here.
- Scandal had an incident of this occur when the premiere of the season four episode "An Innocent Man" aired right after It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and opened up on protagonist Olivia fantasizing about having sex with two different men. The Parents Television Council compared the incident to "a peep show in the middle of a playground" and actually estimated how long it would take a parent to change the channel compared to the twenty-six seconds between the first sexy shot and the last shot of Charlie Brown (which seems a bit obsessive, but hey, who are we to judge?).
- An episode in season 2 of Without a Trace, "Our Sons and Daughters", fell under fire from the Parents Television Council due to a teen orgy scene (which basically amounted to shirtless teens grinding against each other; even daytime syndication edits as of 2015 have left the scene unedited). Somehow the complaints worked, kind of; Eastern-time affiliates that aired the show at 10PM were not fined, while all other time zones that aired the show at 9PM or earlier were fined.
- When Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water was rebroadcast on NHK in 2012, a scene in which Nadia's bare breasts were exposed had her nipples airbrushed out for this exact reason, despite the content being fine for the same timeslot in 1990.