The Singles Index
As much as fiction loves its Love Tropes
, some people are not so lucky (or they might be, depending on your point of view
). This index collects all the Character Tropes
for characters who have never been in a relationship, have been in a recently ended one, try their best to avoid
being in one, or just can't end up in one despite their best efforts, and the reasons thereof.
Prime targets for The Matchmaker
and the Shipper on Deck
— indeed, most of these people are also Love Interests
. Compare Love Tropes
, Wedding and Engagement Tropes
, Love Interests
, The Ex Index
- Abhorrent Admirer: They're single because their crush finds them disgusting.
- Alone Among the Couples: The character is single while everyone else is in a relationship.
- Amicable Exes: Formerly in a relationship.
- Armored Closet Gay: They would be in a relationship if they weren't hiding their true sexuality.
- Black Widow: Enters into many relationships, but gets rid of them just as quickly.
- The Bluebeard: The Spear Counterpart to Black Widow.
- The Casanova: Strings along many love interests, but is not in a serious relationship with any of them.
- Casanova Wannabe: They try to be The Casanova, but they fail miserably.
- Celibate Eccentric Genius: A brilliant person who's more in love with their life's work than with the opposite sex.
- Celibate Hero: The hero chooses to be single.
- Chaste Hero: The hero is clueless about romance.
- Christmas Cake: A Japanese term describing a woman who has reached the age of 25 and is still single.
- College Widow: Her husband is dead, so she shags college age men to fill in the void.
- Confirmed Bachelor: This person refuses to ever get married.
- Crusading Widower: Their spouse/lover was killed, and now they're on a quest to avenge them.
- Determined Widow: This woman has learned to stand on her own after losing her husband.
- Did Not Get the Girl: The hero doesn't end up with their Love Interest.
- Glamorous Single Mother: A woman who manages to take care of herself and her children really well despite being a single mother.
- Hopeless Suitor: This person has no chance of winning over their crush.
- The Ingenue: Usually starts out as this.
- Ladykiller in Love: The Casanova falls genuinely in love, but his previous womanizing ways are liable to scare away his potential love.
- Maiden Aunt: She never married or had kids of her own, so she dotes on her niece/nephew instead.
- Old Maid: An old woman who has never married.
- Romantic Wingman: This person helps out their friend in their love life, though they may not be in a relationship themself.
- Runaway Bride: A bride to be who ditches her groom at the altar.
- Runaway FiancÚ: They ran out on an Arranged Marriage.
- Serial Romeo: He believes every girl he meets to be his One True Love, but never ends up with any of them.
- Single Mom Stripper: A single mother who works in sex trade to provide for her children.
- Struggling Single Mother: A single mother who struggles to make ends meet.
- Truly Single Parent: They had a child without the help of a mate, usually through magic or a labratory experiment.
- Widow Woman: Death did do them part.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: They don't get a Relationship Upgrade with their childhood friend.
- You Need to Get Laid: When a person's crankiness/obsessive behavior is suspected to be due to being single.